Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 2nd, 2016 05:00

AMD Radeon 7730 on inspiron 15R SE

Hey all,

I have been dealing with graphic-card issues on my Dell pretty much since i bought this laptop (Inspiron 15R SE) in 2014.
This laptop never ever uses the correct graphic card when playing video games. I have installed all correct drivers for my AMD radeon 7730, however it always still uses the INTEL4000 on every game i play. I have pretty much tried everything already and i'm running out of ideas. 
What i did so far:
- Change the extensions to 'high performance' in CCC
- Update BIOS and install all update windows updates
- Reinstall all video drivers (2x) 
- Downloaded Raptr 
I read dozens of threads regarding this stupid issue, but nowhere I am able to find a solution that seems to work
Please if you have any idea at all, i would love to try it. 
yours sincerely,
Steef

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 7th, 2016 08:00

First question would be, where are you looking to determine the AMD GPU isn't being used?  

The answer to that is that if you're looking under Windows itself, you will always see the Intel GPU as active - the AMD GPU is not a discrete, standalone video chip  -- it is a co-processor.  Only the Intel GPU has a physical connection to the screen, so only it will show up as active under Windows -- all video data, even if processed through the AMD GPU, passes through the on-CPU Intel GPU on its way to the screen.

If you've chosen the AMD GPU for the game in question - AND that game supports a muxless software hybrid video setup, you should see a boost in speed when the AMD GPU is being used.  You won't see it acting as a discrete GPU - because it is not, and the system cannot function in that manner.

4 Posts

March 7th, 2016 08:00

anyone? :(

4 Posts

March 8th, 2016 23:00

Dear Ejn63,

Thank you for your reply. Where im looking to determine my AMD GPU isnt being used is by checking the video settings in the options of the games im playing. For instance the games Path of Exile and Grim Dawn both show that they use the Intel4000 to run the game, and i cannot choose for a different card.

Also I have to run all these games with the very lowest graphic options to be able to play them normally, and still then my laptop is getting extremely hot. I would think my laptop should be able to handle a game like grim dawn on the lowest graphic settings fluently when using the AMD radeon.

Steef

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 9th, 2016 04:00

First thing to do is verify with the game publisher that the games in question support a hybrid video setup.  Many do not - or will need an update or a paid upgrade to do so.

If you verify that the games DO support hybrid video, and the system overheats when the AMD GPU is used, check the heatsink for dust accumulation and clean accordingly.  This system is also getting up in age -- you may want to replace the thermal pads that sit beteween the heatsink and CPU/GPU cores.

4 Posts

March 13th, 2016 06:00

i have already completely taken apart my laptop and cleaned it thoroughly, also added new cooling paste.

Do you think its the case that both of the games don't support this type of graphic card and that the correct card might be used for other programs (for instance CS:GO)?

How can I check if my Radeon card is ever being used?

No Events found!