Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

October 31st, 2003 06:00

ATI Radeon 7500 Mobility Problem

I just bought a Dell Inspiron 5100 and tried to reinstall Windows XP Professional on it. But after I installed the latest ATI Radeon 7500 display adapter driver provided from Dell's website and restarted the laptop, after the Windows logo, a black screen was displayed with the mouse pointer, then the computer froze there. I have to entere safe mode and removed the graphic card driver every time. I upgraded the BIOS to version 23 and tried some other ATI Radeon 7500 drivers from different sources, none of them worked.  I also installed DirectX 9.0, didn't avail. The problem persisted on Windows XP Home.This freaking problem really maddens me, could anyone give me a hand on this??? Thanks a lot ahead.

My laptop specification:

Inspiron 5100
Pentium 4 2.4GHz
512MB DDR Memory
64MB ATI Radeon 7500 Graphic card
60GB Hard drived

2.2K Posts

October 31st, 2003 14:00

jimyan,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

How Do I Install the Microsoft® Windows® XP Operating System on My Dell Inspiron 5100?

Please make sure that you have followed these directions to make sure that you all of the correct drivers installed.

Just to be sure it is not a hardware problem, please run the video test from the Dell Diagnostics.

2 Posts

October 31st, 2003 21:00

Thanks for your advice. I checked the Dell Resource CD but ATI Mobility 7 driver was not in the CD, so I downloaded the file R66756.exe from dell's website, which is the latest release of this driver. After I installed this driver the same problem occured. I also ran all the video tests by using Dell diagnostics and all the tests were passed.
No Events found!