Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2017 04:00

Adapter polarity support for DELL Inspiron 7559

I have a Dell Inspiron 7559 and m looking for a replacement adapter from Dell.It needs a 130W adapter.

Dell sent me an adapter of part number VJCH5. This adapter meets all the needs of compatibility except for its

POLARITY. It has a positive polarity!

The adapter which originally came with the laptop had negative polarity, and was of part number WRHKW.

Now my question is should I plug this adapter of reverse polarity to my laptop?Will it cause any damage?

Because as far as my understanding goes and from what I've read on the internet using a reverse polarity charger could ruin the battery circuit.

If you could list out adapters which are compatible with my Dell 7559 that'd be of additional help!

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

February 7th, 2017 14:00

Noorulain,

The part number : VJCH5.is compatible.AC adapter with Dell Inspiron 7559. 

5 Posts

February 7th, 2017 18:00

DELL-RAVI CH,

Please can you explain me the POLARITY  issue before making such statement

And

Could you please provide a link to legal documentation which supports your statement.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 7th, 2017 18:00

This is  a PA4E adapter, which IS compatible with your system.  It's not clear why you're claiming reverse polarity -- every Dell adapter is positive inside, negative outside.

The only time it becomes an issue is with reversible-polarity generic adapters, or with adapters from other manufacturers' systems -- HP for one, uses reverse polarity on many of its systems.

5 Posts

February 7th, 2017 19:00

Ejn63,

I've attached a picture of the adapter I received from compuindia, a Dell Express ship affiliate.

According to the information on the adapter , it says it has positive polarity.. Thus the claim.

Please check and revert

1 Attachment

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 8th, 2017 03:00

You need to check with them - "positive polarity" means nothing without the information as to which part of the jack is positive and which is negative.

5 Posts

February 9th, 2017 01:00

I get it. But they won't provide me with such deep technical knowledge, like the pin is negative or the barrel of the jack.

Dell will just say it is compatible, like Mr.Ravi above said.

But I need to be completely sure before plugging it in. I provided you with an image, what do you make of it?

Is it "positive inside, negative outside" as you said in your first reply?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 9th, 2017 03:00

Yes, that's exactly what the image shows.

5 Posts

February 9th, 2017 04:00

Okay. I've attached my ORIGINAL ADAPTER's image . This is part WRHKW.Let me know if it's different from VJCH5 in terms of polarity.

What you can help me with is compare both the images and then tell me if I should use VJCH5 WITHOUT CAUSING ANY DAMAGE TO THE LAPTOP.

It's a request.

1 Attachment

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 9th, 2017 05:00

Shows exactly the same thing.  Positive inside, negative outside.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

February 9th, 2017 11:00

Hi Noorulain,

As informed by ejn63 - Rockstar  . The polarity on all Dell AC adapter's are the same. Positive inside, negative outside.

No Events found!