dll4d
1 Copper

Adding 2nd M.2 SSD to Precision 7510

All,

I have Dell Inspiron 7510 with 2TB (replacement for 1TB) HDD in my 2.5" drive bay. 

Currently M.2 slot is empty.

I want to add this drive and considering following : "https://www.amazon.com/WD-Blue-1TB-SSD-WDS100T1B0B/dp/B01LYOKOJI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511887622&s..."

WD Blue 1TB PC SSD - SATA 6 Gb/s M.2 2280 Solid State Drive - WDS100T1B0B

Since it is M.2 drive, I thought it will work but need to have second opinion.

If it should fit and work as a M.2 drive, I want to make it as my boot drive.

Thanks,

Dhimant

0 Kudos
2 Replies

RE: Adding 2nd M.2 SSD to Precision 7510

Hi Dhimant,

That should work ok. You can find further information here:

en.community.dell.com/.../19992358

DELL-Alasdair R
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 10am-5pm GMT (BST)
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

RE: Adding 2nd M.2 SSD to Precision 7510

It would work, but you'd get better performance from an M.2 NVMe drive than an M.2 SATA drive.  M.2 is just the physical connector interface, whereas SATA/NVMe are protocols, and the latter is much faster.  Some systems only support M.2 SATA, but your system definitely supports both SATA and NVMe.

The Samsung 960 Evo is a popular choice right now.  It's more expensive of course, but it would be FAR faster, especially if you intend to use it as a boot drive.  SATA 6 Gbps = a theoretical max of 750 MB/s, although I don't know what the actual speeds of that WD drive are.  The 960 Evo can hit actual speeds over 3 GB/s (i.e. 24 Gbps) on reads, and 1.8 GB/s (14.4 Gbps) on writes.