Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 11th, 2011 21:00

Adding a backlit keyboard to 17r (n7110)

Hi I just recently purchased a 17r 2nd gen and I love
the performance and style but I just wish it had a backlit keyboard, knowing it
was not in the customization features I was wondering if I could purchase a XPS
17 (L702X) and replace my default keyboard. I just know if the motherboard has
the same connection and if the LED’s would work. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

August 29th, 2013 23:00

Hello!

First off thank you very much to the poster who gave some direction on adding a backlit keyboard to an n7110 laptop.  That has been my main complaint with this computer since it is mostly used in my living room. 

I can confirm that this is possible and the backlight socket is there hidden under the palm rest assembly.  If you remove the palm rest you will see it about 1/2 inch to the right and slightly below the keyboard socket.  I would recommend getting the keyboard from parts-people.com.  I originally bought one from an ebay seller and the "new"keyboard he sent me was not new and was defective.  One of the keys didn't work and in the process of taking the keyboard off an on trying to figure out what was going on the backlight ribbon came off.  He supposedly sent me a replacement but it never showed. In the end he made good and returned my money without any grief.  I then ordered one from parts-people.com, same price, and it showed up next day (they are in the same state as me).

A word of warning, the backlight ribbon is very fragile (see above) so don't try to insert it under the palm rest as I originally did.  What I did was take my dremel with a sanding wheel and just removed enough plastic from the palm rest so the socket was exposed like the others while the palm rest was in place.  After that, voila, lit keyboard and I love it!

1 Message

December 20th, 2014 23:00

After buying a replacement back-lite keyboard, I was disappointed to read this, but I did more research and found the ziff socket under the front panel. I cut out some plastic to access it and I know have a super cool back-lite keyboard! 

Dig in a little deeper!

It can be seen right above the D on motherboard in this picture...

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/images/Dell-Inspiron-17R-N7110/dell-n7110-disassembly-18.jpg

• 

16.7K Posts

September 12th, 2011 09:00

Austinmoss,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

There is no backlit keyboard available for this system.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 13th, 2011 07:00

There isn't, on the Inspiron models - it is there only on the XPS.

November 13th, 2011 07:00

To the Original Poster.   Have you removed your keyboard to see if there is an open Ziff socket to power the backlit keyboard from the XPS?

1 Message

January 19th, 2012 08:00

What about  the Dell OEM Inspiron N7110 Backlit Keyboard 454RX Black I'm looking into it for myself now

177 Posts

January 20th, 2012 09:00

Backlit keyboard is optional on 17 inch Vostro 3750.

Mine came w/o but I added backlit KB later (luckily  my main board has KB power socket).

1 Message

January 31st, 2012 07:00

I found the site that supplies the backlit KB. Says that it's compatible with the Inspiron N7110. I have the exact model. Thinking of ordering it.

www.laptopskeyboard.com/.../4408-replacement-for-dell-inspiron-n7110-keyboard-kr-layout-backlight.html

177 Posts

January 31st, 2012 12:00

That's a great price if they don't go crazy with shipping. Let us know if it works out.

1 Message

February 4th, 2012 17:00

Yes... please share your experience with the replacement back lit keyboard.

8 Posts

February 18th, 2012 18:00

Has anyone tried they keyboard? If so did it work?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 19th, 2012 07:00

See above.  There is no socket for the backlight cable on the Inspiron model - even if you install a backlit keyboard it will not work with the Inspiron (although the same keyboard will fit into and work correctly with the XPS series).

8 Posts

February 19th, 2012 14:00

Fully aware of that. This keyboard that we where looking at though has the light cable merged with the other cable.

1 Message

April 14th, 2012 19:00

Jesse - Is there some sort of light that can clip on to the 17R-N7110? It is impossible to see the keys at night time, even with light in the room. Please pass that along to the designers and suggest that they always add backlights to these machines.

Also, I just bought machine from an E-bay seller. Please tell me the date that the warranty went into effect and for how long it lasts. The Service Tag S/N is 

The Express Service Code is

Please let me know. Thanks.  MacDaddy453

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 15th, 2012 06:00

There are external, USB lights you can use -- not unlike book lights.

Until you get the seller to transfer the warranty into your name, you have no warranty - contact that person.

No Events found!