Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

December 16th, 2017 05:00

After Windows Update (automatic) Red Message "Invalid Signature detected. Check Policy in Setup"

Hello

I really need help.

Yesterday evening windows retarted my laptop, telling me it found a new update. I vened had no choice, it just restarted.

Last windows version was fall creator update. Now i don't know the one it just installed.

Since nothing happened except the littles dots moving sometimes, I let it work over night, thinking that in the morning it would have installed the update.

But this morning I found only a black screen, and after reboot this red message.

It seems it is not finding the disk boot sector.

Any Idea? Panik...

134 Posts

December 16th, 2017 06:00

I disabled secure boot option,

But no boot device found.

Is there a way to uninstall the last windows update, without being able to boot the computer? 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 16th, 2017 19:00

I am sure someone would like to help but your situation is a little different from the normal won't boot situations.  I don't understand the Invalid signatures but there was a thread a couple of weeks ago about the same type message.

Is the drive showing in the Bios?   If it is an older system, perhaps the drive had a problem.

134 Posts

December 16th, 2017 19:00

Hi again

I am talking to myself...

I did some progress.

I made a bootable USB drive from a link Microsoft support provided me.

go.microsoft.com/.../

The download took some hours.

Now, I found a kind of guide on how to proceed:

To get to Windows Startup Settings in the Windows Recovery Environment. You may follow the steps provided below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

If you don't have a disk or USB, download the ISO from a working computer and try creating a bootable disk or USB.

If you can't start your PC, follow these instructions to get to the Windows Recovery Environment.

Start your computer from the installation media, Insert the DVD or USB flash drive and restart your computer.

If you see a message asking you to “Press any key to boot from DVD,” do so. If you don’t see the message, you might need to change the boot order in your computer's BIOS settings so that it first starts from the DVD or USB.

When you see the Install Windows page, tap or click Repair your computer to start the Windows Recovery Environment.

In the Windows Recovery Environment, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click Troubleshoot.

Tap or click, advanced options and then click on Startup repair.

After this complete the repair and see if you are able to boot in to your computer.

So far so good, but I wanted to know, anyone of you already did that with a DELL? And it worked? I don't want to lose 500 Gigas of datas. It's a bit scarry.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks

134 Posts

December 17th, 2017 05:00

Hi

Thanks for your answer.

Yes the drive is showing in the BIOS. No hard drive issue in diagnostic either.

I tried to establish correct BIOS settings, incase the windows update changed something. I reset keys.

Now i hope that, when I try to repair windows from the boot USB, that the windows key is always there, since it was not given with the computer. I did some search, windows key is injected in the BIOS. Now, after all I did in order to find a working reboot mode, I hope I did not delete it (OMG).

The other thing I am afraid of for the windows repair. I had to chose a language when i downloaded the windows 10 install file, otherwise it wouldn't match with the windows version i have installed.

I bought this DELL with windows in english, but it came in spanish (!). I had two spanish version to chose from, spanish from spain, and spanish from Mexico.

Well, I opted for Mexico, since I bought this laptop in the US. Hope this is the correct one. Or it will ask for the product key, which I don't have.

Please wish me luck...

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

December 17th, 2017 07:00

One of the messages did tell you to re-seat the hard drive.

134 Posts

Should I reload all Bios Default setting (F9)

134 Posts

I contacted microsoft support again.

Unfortunately the agent did not know a lot on this issue.

I could boot on the flash drive, but all basic options failed.

No restore point restauration

No repair of start options

No reverse to previous windows version

Only available option is cmd, but who has an idea of the appropriated commands? *cry*

I really need my installation back running.

Thanks

134 Posts

December 17th, 2017 08:00

Maybe the boot media is not working because of wrong language settings?

Is there a way to know the language of my windows version with the service tag?

I ordered english, was delivered to Miami, and received spanish. but what kind of spanish is it? Mexican or Spain? Or does this make no difference?

Thans

134 Posts

December 17th, 2017 08:00

Hi ieee488

Thanks for your answer.

Sorry for the dumb question, but what means "reseat"?

My hard drive is recognized in BIOS.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 17th, 2017 10:00

The service tag should give access to the original configuration.  You might also check the Settings-System-About to see if it mentions the language.  Since I have not run a second language I do not know how it would be annotated.

If you ordered the system in English, in the US, why would it arrive with Spanish...  Did you go to the wrong website or something about you made Dell think you needed Spanish?  If you don't want Spanish, can you remove that language?

134 Posts

December 17th, 2017 11:00

Hi Saltgrass,

The delivery of this laptop was an epic story, they sent it twice to a wrong address, so when I finally got it with a lot of delay, and I found out I was in spanish and with a spanish keyboard, I did not want to restart with the whole thing. Since logistic seemed complicated.

Now Microsoft told me to install a new windows from my flash drive, and it would safe my data to another partition. But I will have to reinstall all my programs!

Thats better than losing everything, but it's crazy that they destroy my installation with a bad update I did not ask for, and I have to work nights and days to get everything back.

Isn't there a better way to boot this machine again?

I will try to reload default settings in Bios

Thanks

134 Posts

December 17th, 2017 13:00

ok I continue to talk to myself. I hope that somebody will find a solution for me.

Finally I changed my Bios settings to UEFI instead of legacy, and in this mode i was able to boot on my USB drive and then launch a system restoration from a previous good restore point (5 days ago).

This took 3 hours and at the end I got a message that everything was restored correctly.

I was happy.

BUT

Now I have exactly the same problem. I always can't start windows. It always doesn't find the hard disk.

It's unbelievable. I can boot on my flash drive, but that doesn't really start windows.

Nothing has changed.

Any idea?

PLEASE???

134 Posts

December 17th, 2017 14:00

What about this option "Configuration Firmware UEFI" ==> Start

What would happen if I click the start (Reiniciar) Button?

Can I go in safe mode this way?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 17th, 2017 14:00

That might do the same thing as using F2 during boot.  It just puts you into the Bios Setup but because I am not familiar with the language, it may be something different.

134 Posts

December 17th, 2017 16:00

What do you mean by this???

I bought this directly on the DELL website and it was delivered to Miami.

Do you want to see my recipe???

What do you want to say by "who knows what this laptop really is"??? Should I do a reclamation at Dell? What did they sell me???

I am pretty bothered with this machine, and you are telling me it's not a real Dell or what?

Will contact Dell on Monday and ask what exactly they sold me.

I am not worried enough, yes?

No Events found!