Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

December 20th, 2008 15:00

After Windows Updates AC Power Adaptor Cannot be Determined

My son's Inspiron 1501 started having an AC POWER ADAPTOR CANNOT BE DETERMINED error. It went on to state it would cause reduced speed and the battery would not charge.

I have looked the cord over thoroughly and noticed nothing wrong with it. Additionally we seemed to have problems with Windows Updates not working properly with an undefined error that ended up requiring us to restore Dell Hardware back to factory status. All of a sudden the power adaptor cord error disappeared, the battery started charging and the windows updates worked no problem.

I updated the windows security requirements thru Windows Updates and had 48 updates installed. Once they were installed, I started getting the power adaptor error again and we're back to the battery not charging.

Has anyone else experienced this error? Although we purchased the computer 17Dec07 we received it on 24Dec07 and the warranty apparently expired 2 days after this started happening (17Dec08).

Any help is most appreciated.

Merry Christmas All

1.6K Posts

December 20th, 2008 16:00

About 30% of the time, this is a faulty adapter;  the other 70% of the time it's a faulty system board - but it is a hardware failure, not software.

From the description it sounds like the connection between the power jack and mainboard is faulty.

1 Message

February 7th, 2009 16:00

did you ever find a solution to your problem? only mine has developed the same fault.

No Events found!