Highlighted
Sunrunr
1 Copper

After system restore, I need product key for Dell installed Microsoft Office

I had to do a system restore on my Inspiron E1705. Now my Microsoft Office 2003 software will not work until I enter the product key. It was installed by Dell at the factory. Dell did not ship any cds with this laptop, so I do not have the sticker. I had to call Microsoft after I after receiving this from Dell to get a product key, but that will not work now. Microsoft told me that product key was for a manufacturer mass install and will no longer work. I haven't attempted to contact Dell yet, but since my laptop is out of warranty I'm not sure they would help anyway. Any help getting this would be greatly appreciated.  

0 Kudos
4 Replies
hrova
5 Tungsten

Re: After system restore, I need product key for Dell installed Microsoft Office

Unfortunately, I have to agree with your assessment that Dell will not be able to provide you with the product key.

I don't think you have options short of buying a new copy of MS Office.

Open Office (it is free) is another alternative.

Community Member Since 2003

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
6 Indium

Re: After system restore, I need product key for Dell installed Microsoft Office

What did you do?

• System restore?

• Dell Factory restore?

If its a system restore, can you undo it and go back to a time when Microsoft Office did work? (Undo the restore point).

If you can, then you can use Belarc Advisor to give you a print out of your system details (includng Windows and Office Keys) wich you can print out using the likes of CutePDF Writer and keep saved for future reference.

If its a Dell factory restore, you may not be so lucky but I would try Belarc Advisor just in case there is a small chance you can get the key.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Office 2010 for home and student is $149.  Thats whats available now.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

nmacfall
1 Copper

Activate by phone, may get lucky!!!

0 Kudos