Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 27th, 2017 14:00

After system restore: error message ‘A operating system wasn’t found’

Can you help me. I have a Inspiron M301Z laptop that originally had Windows 7, but I installed the free Windows 10 upgrade. I needed to have a ‘System Restore’ after it finished and rebooted, I got the error message ‘A operating system wasn’t found. Try disconnecting any drives that don’t contain an operating system. A full diagnostic test found no problems. I would prefer to reinstate the original Windows 7 and Dell drivers, but I assume installing Windows 10 removed the Windows 7 installed on my motherboard. How can I reinstall an operating system? Robert (kingsthorne50).

September 28th, 2017 00:00

Thank you for your message. Yes, l ran the full diagnostic Dell program that took a very long time; no problems found. I do hope there is a solution to my problem.

Thanks again, Robert.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 27th, 2017 16:00

Did you run an extended (takes a couple of hours) diagnostic on the hard drive - or just the quick one?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 28th, 2017 05:00

If you have a set of recovery media (that you were prompted to make when you first turned on the system), you'll need that now.  If you don't, I think you'll find only Windows 10 is an option now - Dell doesn't release recovery media for Windows 7 any longer.

You can alternatively purchase a recovery media set from Ebay, etc. for your system.

September 28th, 2017 13:00

Thank you very much for your help and support. I have found and installed the recovery media you mentioned. It stopped at ‘Please select a folder with a full system backup in either C: , D: , E:  or F:  There was no response from any of these drive. Does that mean the original Windows 7 and the activation key is not on the laptop?

I have checked on EBay, l can purchase a Windows 7 repair boot recovery disc, and new Windows 7 software with a new key, but l am not sure whether my M301Z will accept 32 or 64 bit software.

I really do appreciate you help.  Robert

September 30th, 2017 04:00

Thank you very much for your help and support. My laptop is now working perfectly. Great to have someone like you to help. All the best Robert. Please close my request.

No Events found!