Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 3rd, 2015 17:00

After upgading to from W 8 to W8.1 my dim screen function does not work anymore.

I have an  XPS 15 L521X laptop

After upgading to W8.1 my dim screen function does not work anymore.

Not with the Fn buttons, neither in the energy configurations. The slider graphic moves up and down yet the screen remains full blast bright.

I have tried everythng I can. All the drivers are updated.

The quick set does not instal in my copputer, but the pold verson was not working anymore either.

I really apreciete any advice

Thanks beforehand

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

October 3rd, 2015 22:00

Hi mario mayorga,

Please let me know the error you receive when you try to install the quickset driver. However, you can use the Windows 8 operating system Quickset driver and install it in the compatibility mode.

October 4th, 2015 04:00

Hello Ravi

The installer unzips tries to install and then it says

"This system is not allowed"

If I would have known I would have not unistalled my previous versio.
But the installer said I had to uninstall to instal the new versión.

I have no idea how to make your suggestion about the W8 install in compatibility mode

October 4th, 2015 04:00

Hello Again

I figured out the compatibility mode.

Unfortunaltely even under the W8 configuration I get the same error message

"This system is not allowed"

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

October 7th, 2015 12:00

Hi mario mayorga,

Download the Windows 8 quickset driver from our Dell support site and double click on the file and extract it on the desktop in a folder. Look for setup file in the extracted folder. Right click ‘.exe’ file and click ‘Properties’. Click “install in compatibility mode’. Click on Application and select ‘Troubleshoot Compatibility’. Next, click on ‘Troubleshoot Program’. Click on Program worked in earlier versions of Windows. Click on ‘Windows 8’. Click on ‘Start the Program’. Do not hit ‘Next’ until the installation completes. Once the installation completes, click on ‘Next’.

Please let me know if this helps.

October 8th, 2015 23:00

Hello Ravi

In my desperation before reading your reply I upgraded to Windows 10 (So far i like it )

I was hoping I would recover the dim screen option, but the behaviour is the exact same one as before.

I cannot dim the screen in any way. The slide bar moves when pressing Fn and up/down arrows yet the screen remains full bright
Also in the power options the slide controls have absolutely no effect at all.

I finally found the exact quickset driver for my dell xps model and windows 8
But I don´t know if I install it now with Windows 10 will this destroy my configurations even more?

Before hand thanks a lot

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

October 11th, 2015 11:00

Hi mario mayorga,

We can understand your concern. But however installing previous version drivers would make it compatible or it may not work. But I doubt it would spoil the existing settings.

October 11th, 2015 20:00

Thanks for your patience and help

I have installed the w8 Quicket for the model of my xps.

Yet the dim screen brightness does not work It is still full bright at all times, the slider moves but does not affect the brightness.

Have tried compatibility more. Noting worked

Trouble shot says program is non compatible

What can I do?
My eyes really hurt with this full blast bright all the time

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

October 15th, 2015 14:00

Hi mario mayorga,

I would suggest you to update the BIOS and Video card driver on the system. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the BIOS from BIOS section and Video card driver from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps.

October 15th, 2015 16:00

Hello Ravi

Thanks so much for your sugestion.

I did as you said. BIOS and Video card drivers update.

Dim screen does not work yet.

Slider moves, but screen remains full blast. It cannot be adjusted with the sliders in energy configuration. The new menu on the taskbar in W10 also has a brightness control that does not affect the screen at all...

Any other sugestion?

October 16th, 2015 18:00

Hello Friend

That drivers update you sugested was a bad move.

Now images appear on top and on the bottom of places where they are not supposed to be, squares of text are not appearing blank spaces instead....

Imposible to work with a web design platorm I normaly use in a foreigher server. Comands just don´t care about my instructions, an all images and texts are on top and on the botom. Just a full mess.

My computer does not have any restore points. I have no way to figure out how to go back to the previous state where it was all working fine....

Feeling terrible now...

HELP!!!!!

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

October 18th, 2015 13:00

Hi mario mayorga,

I can understand your frustration and we regret the inconvenience caused to you. It seems like there is an issue with the operating system. I would suggest you to revert back to Windows 8 on the computer to check if issue reoccurs.

No Events found!