Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

December 15th, 2015 12:00

Alienware 13 R2 does not wake from sleep with lid closed

Hello, I just received an Alienware R2.  I cannot get it to wake up from sleep mode when the lid is closed with my USB keyboard or mouse.  It does wake up from sleep mode with my USB keyboard when the lid is open.  I just updated the bios to Version A05,A05.  Before I updated the new bios, it wouldn't even wake up from sleep mode by hitting the laptop keyboard.  I had to hit the power switch.  

I also have updated the video drives to Version 20.19.15.4312,A04 (Intel HD) and Version 10.18.13.5442,A02 (nVIDIA Geforce).

I am guessing this is still a BIOS problem, but is there a fix?

Thanks.

2.3K Posts

December 15th, 2015 13:00

Hello!  So i'm a tad confused.  When you close the lid, the laptop goes to sleep, and when you open the lid it wakes up, but you want it to wake up with the lid closed?

6 Posts

December 15th, 2015 13:00

Sorry, I should have clarified.  I am running it with an external monitor with the lid closed.  Works great, except that when the computer goes to sleep I need to open the lid to get it to wake back up.  If I keep the lid open, it wakes up by just hitting the keyboard.

Thanks for helping.

2.3K Posts

December 17th, 2015 16:00

Ohh o.k! Hmm.. I would go into the power settings and click on advanced settings.  Scroll down to... i'm trying to remember... sleep action or some such.  Either way from the advanced power settings you can choose to shut off the part where it says 'go to sleep when lid is closed'.  

If you have windows 8.x or 10, right click on the windows flag at the bottom left corner of the screen, and select control panel, then click on the green battery icon if you have it set to show all, if not in the upper right you can select what 'view' you want and select show all medium (or something like that).  sorry my instructions are not very precise, i'm not at a computer I can check things out at lol. 

5.2K Posts

December 17th, 2015 20:00

Easiest way is to  block the top up a bit with a small piece of wood. The spacing needed to stop the sleep switch varies a lot model to model, so some experimentation is needed. Then you would need to put it into sleep using any of the power functions, and wake up using a keyboard key press or Mouse movement. Make sure the Mouse driver is set to allow movement to wake the computer.

6 Posts

December 18th, 2015 06:00

Thanks for help.  I've actually got the power options set to "do nothing" when I close the lid.  Right now it works with the lid closed, but just won't wake up from sleep unless I open the lid again.  I could just leave the lid open all the time, but that ruins the aesthetics of my computer workstation.

6 Posts

December 18th, 2015 06:00

Yes, that would work.  Just wish there was a software fix for it so the lid didn't need to be part way open.  I imagine other laptops don't have that problem.  

5.2K Posts

December 18th, 2015 08:00

You would think "do nothing" should do the job!!! Many have unsuccessfully tried this on many different brands/models. Some claim there are BIOS settings that work, but nobody seems to be able to find one. If you have lots of time, you could search the web, however there is not much helpful. I found one a few years back that involved a lot of steps, but never tried it. When I use Chromcast, I just turn the laptop screen off and close the cover almost down. Both of my laptop's will hold the cover at any angle.

6 Posts

December 18th, 2015 19:00

For what it's worth, I also have a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air and they do this perfectly.  Oh well.  I'll keep looking.  Maybe a bios or other update will get it working some day.

2 Posts

June 10th, 2016 08:00

Have you found the solution? I have the same problem. 

The laptop can be woken up by wireless mouse when the lid is open, but not when lid is closed. 

I can see the light flash a little but go to sleep again. 

6 Posts

June 10th, 2016 21:00

No solution yet.  I think Dell can fix it with a bios update.  There was another thread for a different Dell Laptop with the same problem that Dell finally addressed and fixed.  I just keep the lid open now.

2 Posts

June 11th, 2016 10:00

I have to use network wakeup from hibernate instead of from sleep. A little bit slower, also need a smart phone to do so. But the laptop can be turned off completely and my cooling pad will be also turned off with the laptop, so not so bad.

No Events found!