Highlighted
MikeWest82
Copper

Alienware 15 R2 USB 3.0 video causing IRQL BSOD error

Hello community,

I need some help and this seems to be the best place I can find to ask for answers. I have an Alienware R15 R2 laptop and I am running two monitors off of the HDMI and the USB 3.0 type C port. I have the monitors set to turn off after 15 minutes to save power and lock the machine, but here's where the problem comes in. When the monitors go to sleep, the monitor connected to the Type C port disconnects from Windows 10, causing all of the icons and windows to move over to the monitor connected to HDMI. While that's annoying, it's survivable. What's not survivable is that occasionally this disconnection causes Windows to BSOD with the IRQL_NOT_LESS... error. I have tried two different CableCreation cables (the adapter from USB 3.0 Type C male to DVI female; and the cable goes from USB Type C male to DVI male). Neither cable solved the issue and CableCreation tested this in their lab without issue.

Any ideas on what could be causing this and what I can do to solve it? I have updated all the drivers and ran the diagnostic tests with no issues.

Thanks!

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Reply

RE: Alienware 15 R2 USB 3.0 video causing IRQL BSOD error

Mike,

Download and install Resplendence Software - WhoCrashed

Open WhoCrashed, then click on analyze. This will give you the reason for the BSOD. This could be a driver issue.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos