Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 15th, 2016 09:00

Alienware 17 freezes when gaming and plugged into ac adapter but not when running on battery

Over the past year i have had a problem on and off with my alienware 17 laptop. While playing games with the power adapter attached i usually have a problem with the game freezing causing me to have to hard reboot my computer but when i play on my battery it works perfectly fine. Even when i run on battery mode while playing games and plug in the adapter the computer still seems to freeze up on me. The strange thing is that i can do school work and surf the web while the adapter is plugged in. 

Computer specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40GHz

Memory: 16gb 

4 Posts

January 26th, 2016 18:00

anyone got any insight on what this could be? 

4 Posts

June 16th, 2016 22:00

help please

2K Posts

June 18th, 2016 11:00

Hi THISGUY419,

Sorry that you did not happen to get any help for a while from anyone on the forum.

Are you using the original Dell adapter? Is the adapter frayed? Are there any bluescreens / system crashes when you are playing games? Are you able to watch any HD videos? Does the system freeze every time you play a game? What kind of games are these? Are the games online or over steam or via discs? Does this happen on every game or only specific ones?

Update the BIOS - http://dell.to/1WU5KuB and restart the system and check.

If the issue is not resolved, then post a screenshot of the device manager with display adapters extended.

Write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Keep us updated.

4 Posts

June 19th, 2016 23:00

Hey there,

I've contacted tech support and sat on the line for hours and ran every test possible, but nothing seemed to be wrong. I have everything up to date and all my drivers and BIOS are up to date as well. 

The games I play are Day z standalone and War Thunder both off of steam but I launch them optimized from my geforce experience. Day z i am able to play for about half an hour and then it freezes up on me, no blue screen just the picture freezes and makes a weird sound. War Thunder i can start the game but 15 min in it freezes up and does the same thing that i stated before. In each case I have to hard reboot my system. I never had a problem with either of these before, but literally right after my warranty expired. 

I can run HD movies and everything else on my computer works perfectly fine. 

im not looking to get charged for anything i've gone to my schools tech support and the geek squad at best buy near me and nothing could be found until money needed to come to dig further. 

I am using the original charging adapter and its been in the same condition from when i first got it.  

2K Posts

June 20th, 2016 10:00

Hi THISGUY419,

Thank you for the update.

Does the system freeze only on these 2 games? Could you try any other games off steam or through media?

Reinstall the video drivers from vendor site - http://www.geforce.com/ - for your video card and OS and test the machine.

I would also suggest you to take the system to a local store and ask them to test the system with the new Dell OEM adapters. This will help isolate if the adapter is at fault or not, as you state the games work fine while on battery.

Based on this, we might be able to isolate the source of the issue.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!