Highlighted

Alienware Laptop has vertical flickering pixels across the screen

My screen is acting up with vertical flickering pixels. It seems to affect certain shades of colors. When I change the refresh rate of the screen to 40 Hertz the screen has a different pattern of flickering. I am not sure why this is happening all of a sudden or what to fix/replace. I have already taken it to a computer shop but they were no help at all.  How can I fix this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies

RE: Alienware Laptop has vertical flickering pixels across the screen

Hi PEEWEEDAPLUMBER,

What is the exact system model? Is the distorted screen persistent or random. Does the system overheat? When do you encounter the screen distortion?

Connect an external monitor and check if it works fine. 

Run the LCD bist - Turn off the system and press and hold the "D" key + power button to turn on the system and it should run the LCD built in self test - see this link for more info - http://dell.to/1SkXNrG

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us.

Restart the system and press f2 key to enter BIOS and check if the distortion is seen there as well.

If the system is under warranty, write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details. If there is no warranty, then we can help with a paid service call if required.

Keep us updated.

Thanks and Regards,
DELL-Rishi
Social Media and Communities Professional
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos

It is an Alienware 18. The screen has a persistent pattern of flickering depending on the color and shade on the screen. It does not overheat and the distortion is constant, unless I am viewing a solid color with a certain shade. When I connect it to an external monitor it does not have distortion (the monitor). I checked the PSA Diagnostics and it showed certain colored bars with the distortion. The LCD BIST did not show any apparent distortion however. The diagnostics did not show any errors and there was a very slight distortion around the letters in the BIOS. The system is not under warranty.

0 Kudos

Hi PEEWEEDAPLUMBER,

Thank you for the update.

Well, if the external monitor works fine, then the video card is good. Since the distortion is seen while in BIOS as well, I suppose the LCD is going faulty.

You could try reseating the display cable and check or try replacing the LCD ribbon cable and check. If the issue is not resolved, then the display assembly needs to be replaced.

As the system warranty has expired, we could help with a paid service call. You could request for a quote here - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

If you wish to replace the parts yourself, then you could get the parts through a 3rd party Dell parts seller - http://bit.ly/24F0aRk

Let us know if you have any other queries.

Thanks and Regards,
DELL-Rishi
Social Media and Communities Professional
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos