Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 7th, 2011 05:00

Alienware M14x Subwoofer

While listening to music on my laptop this morning the Subwoofer suddenly decided enough was enough!

It wasn't bass heavy music (It was Hugh Laurie!) and there has been no indicaiton of a problem before.

I have tried re-booting and re-installing the drivers but no look :(. Most of my love for this laptop is for the sound system!

Is there anyway to fix this or do I need to send it to be fixed, and if I do, how do I organise sending it and how much will it cost - I bought the laptop as a refurb so I believe there is no waranty with it?

Thanks

Chris

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 7th, 2011 06:00

Chris, try running the Dell Diagnostics audio tests. If the woofer works during the tests then there is a software problem, but if it doesn't then the hardware is faulty. Check for a loose connection. The Service Manual shows how to disassemble the laptop.

If you bought it from Dell then I believe there is at least a 90 day warranty.

PS I saw Hugh Laurie on PBS a couple of weeks ago and was much impressed.

November 7th, 2011 12:00

I loaded the Dell Diagnostics test but the information in your post about it didn't match what I was seeing on screen. I was only asked a question once (If I could see colours) and then the test ended and I couldn't start any other tests?!

Any advice on that one haha? Don't really want to take the laptop apart unless I've tried things that don't involve taking it apart haha!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 7th, 2011 13:00

I have the same problem.

Have you tried running the Dell Diagnostics audio tests that we were discussing?

Cheers Jim,

will try all those and let you know if anything helps :)

1 Message

I have the same problem. Damn how can i get this thing working...

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

Chris, I think you were seeing the PSA tests which do ask you about colors. Now that I think of it, since yours was a refurb the hard drive probably was wiped at some point, which would have removed the Diagnostics partition.

I can't think of anything else except to try different drivers. The Audio Driver FAQ explains how to get a fresh copy of the driver, how to get an older version of it, and how to use Windows generic driver instead. If you try all of the driver options and none help, I doubt that there is anything else to try except a fresh install of Windows..

November 22nd, 2011 10:00

Nothing works! Looks like I need a new one =(

Any idea where I can get a subwoofer?? Not under warranty anymore so if I can get hold of one I'll just replace it myself, just gotta be able to get hold of one!

Chris

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 22nd, 2011 18:00

I'm sorry but I don't know. Often salvaged parts show up on ebay.

No Events found!