tgmusser
1 Nickel

Alienware M14x Wired Ethernet Adapter missing - Windows 10

Service Tag: <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

When I came home tonight and powered on my laptop, a strange thing happened.  I had no network.  I did this morning before I went to work, but not this evening!

I checked the adapter in device manager and The internal wired Ethernet adapter (Killer NIC) disappeared.  I enabled 'show hidden devices' and the adapter was grayed out and not activated.

After attempting to search for updated drivers, turning the adapter off and on in the bios and performing a system restore, nothing worked.  I tried to reinstall the card in device manager by removing it and scanning for hardware changes, and nothing happened.  It's as if the card disappeared completely.

I'm not sure what happened, but any assistance you could offer would be much appreciated.

Terry

0 Kudos
3 Replies
tgmusser
1 Nickel

RE: Alienware M14x Wired Ethernet Adapter missing - Windows 10

I did some further research and the adapter / driver returned as grayed out.  The adapter status now says "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer (code 45)"

The card adapter is model:  Killer e2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)

The Driver File Details are:  Qualcomm Atheros, Inc  8.0.2.42

I have done nothing to cause the device to be "not connected to the computer"  I don't understand what is happening.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions, possible explanation or have seen this before.

Terry

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DKRecords
1 Copper

I'm having the exact same issue on Win10. I didn't have a backup recovery so I reinstalled everything from scratch including; fresh OS and e2200 and nothing happened. i looked into my bios and i don't see any LAN adapter anymore, i did see my WiFi... so my Ethernet lights are lit up, orange of the "left" and yellow on the "right". This is a clean install and boot from Win10. So why dose my PC not identify the hardware anymore? I'm clueless on this Ugh.

tgmusser
1 Nickel

Still having this problem.  Reinstalled Windows 10 over the holidays and the adapter is not showing up.

I'm having other issues with this machine.  Frequently it will not boot and has a series of 7 beeps.  I've had to power it down and back up many times and then will get 'lucky' and it will boot again.  I removed the battery and it seems to be booting normally.  The think is, over the ~ 1 yr since I've had it, I've had it plugged in to power the entire time except for 4 to 5 days of travel.

I'm renewing my warranty and opening a case to have the motherboard replaced.  I hope this will take care of both problems.  *crosses fingers

Terry

0 Kudos