Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 4th, 2015 04:00

[Alienware] Speakers fail

Good day,

I have problem with speakers. They fail sometimes at start windows logon screen, at start browser. I have tried to many combinations - reinstall PC and install drivers in order, driver from Microsoft but 6.2 version, uninstall drivers from Windows, distable drivers for example NVIDIA, ... etc. , automatic repair tools, but no one tool or process hasnt repaired this problem. Sometimes it is working good but many times. 75 % it is broken and i dont know what to do now. Im using headspeakers to challenge with it. With speakers, headspeakers, or others additionals it is working correctly. I havent tried to restore it to factory build becouse i dont have this ability anymore. 

Im using OS Windows 7.

Any suggestions would help.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 4th, 2015 06:00

Hello. When the speakers are not working use the ePSA tests to test them. Select "Perform Quick Audio Check" in the lower right corner of the main ePSA screen. If you hear the tones during the test then the speakers are working and there is not a loose connection.

If the problem is not in the speakers or connection, and if installing a fresh copy of the Realtek audio driver (assuming your model is Alienware 17) does not help,  then you have the symptoms of a failing impedance sensing pin circuit in the headphone jack. It seems to be intermittent failure. See the 1st section of the Headphone Jack FAQ for details about the issue.

3 Posts

January 5th, 2015 01:00

Hi,

ePSA audio test passed ok. One thing i have forgotten to tell if i set volume under 14 the speakers are working correctly and if i set volume over 14 it fails.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 5th, 2015 04:00

if i set volume under 14 the speakers are working correctly

Okay, then it is probably not a failure of the sense pin in the headphone jack.

Which media player are you using? My suggestion is to use Windows Media Player for testing purposes. If you have used one of the players that goes "over 100%" the speakers may have become damaged.

You did not say which model of Alienware you have, but the words "Alienware 17" appear in your tag field. If your model is an Alienware 17 (mid 2013) then download and install a fresh copy of the Realtek audio driver if you have not done so recently. Play some audio with Windows Media Player.

Next switch to the Windows native audio driver.

1. Open the Device Manager (type devmgmt.msc in the search box and hit Enter).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked.
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, then no need to restart.
[To get back to the Realtek driver,  do it again but reverse the names in steps 1 and 6.]

If you have the same exact problem while using the native driver then it is almost certainly a hardware issue. If you are still under warranty you should contact tech support.

No Events found!