Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 23rd, 2013 10:00

Alienware m14x R2 GPU frequent periodic drop in clock and voltage while gaming

When I'm playing BF3 or other 3D games that require higher than normal resources from the GPU, I experience consistent drops and rises in core clock and voltage from my nvidia GTX 650M dedicated graphics card. I normally play at native res, which is 1600 x 900, but I tested to see if there was a problem with not having enough V-ram (I have 1 GB) so I dropped to 1366 x 768, which did not help the problem. When it is at the top of its peak, it performs very smoothly, as a gaming laptop should, but when it drops most games are unplayable at under 20FPS. I've done everything that is obvious, made sure it's plugged in, in max performance mode, rebooted. The problems seemed to have started when I installed windows 8, but I'm not certain.

I need to know how to stop the video card from throttling the core clock and voltage every 30 seconds. It is not a problem or heat either, it never goes above 67* C and is well ventilated( I make sure to clean out dust and use a cooler pad)

here is the screenshot off of nvidia inspector while playing BF3 in Canals for about 10 minutes http://i.imgur.com/BWzRspA.png

April 4th, 2015 16:00

Here I have exactly the same problem. Did you figure out how to solve it?

Usually I try reinstalling all video drivers... it usually works, but not always... Now for example, I was trying to play Far Cry 4 but the performance is terrible (even at 1366x768 and graphics at low)...

It is definitely something that should not happen.... if you or anybody has a solution for this, please let me know.

October 14th, 2015 01:00

Facing the same problem with my Dell 7447. GPU core clock drop to minimum point after few minutes playing. Temperature are fine because it's a brand new laptop.

October 14th, 2015 03:00

Facing the same problem with my Dell 7447. GPU core clock drop to minimum point after few minutes playing. Temperature are fine because it's a brand new laptop.

I got this problem sometimes.

Sometimes the solution is only reinstalling drivers and the throttling stops. Sometimes temperature is the problem's cause, then I have two options: let the computer rest or reduce the grapphics settings (for games developed in 2014 and on).

Usually the problem is really only caused by high temperatures. If the game is suitable for the GeForce GT 650M, everything goes back to normal once I leave some time for my computer to "rest" before trying to play again. I really believe you have the same problem. Even if the notebook is new, its GPU will reach the cap temperature if you play hard games on very high settings. Which games have you been trying to play and how many degrees is the weather in your country now?

I got a little bit confused here, because you said the notebook is new, but it is actually a 2012-model (or is this forum. If I try to play any 2014-on game with high graphics settings the notebook will drop the FPS, what is honestly completely understandable since the GeForce GT 650M does not meet minimal requirements to run those games (Far Cry 4, GTA 5, Watch Dogs, AC Black Flag/Unit).

My two advices:

1- Download GPU-Z and start monitoring your GPU. When your FPS drops, go to the report and check what caused this drop. It is in the column "PerfCap Reason []".

2- Check in the following website (http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri) the minimal requirements to play the game you are trying to play and then use this website (http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu) to check if the GT 650M is at least near the required GPU.

I hope I did some help.

Cheers,

October 14th, 2015 04:00

Thank LEANDROGSS for replying.

My system detail is Dell Inspirion 7447, i7-4720HQ, GTX 850M 4G GDDR3, 8GB RAM. I just purchased it for weeks. It's 2014 laptop but I don't think it weak for 2015 games cause I read many review before purchasing it.

I tried to play different games. While playing, it runs at it best for a meantime (for example FIFA 15 at 60FPS), but after a while, frame will drop to 30fps and after a while again it will turn back into normal then repeat FPS Drop. And other games that running on desired fps will become half of it or worst than half.

I'm running both Windows 8 and Windows 10 for testing. Both OS have the same symptom.

As I monitored in game using MSI Afterburn, the GPU core clock drop causing FPS drop. Mine is 900MHz and during the drop, there's only 271MHz. GPU max temp is around 60C and CPU is around 65C. I know there will be a temparature point where core clock throttles however 60C is too low. My old Dell Vostro 3550 could handle until 90C without throtlling.

I did tried lots of suggested solution, change settings in Nvidia control panel, downgrade to older Nvidia version in both Windows 8 and 10, even downgrade BIOS version. Nothing work :(.

I'm wondering if this fault belong to Nvidia driver or Dell.

2 Posts

January 1st, 2016 12:00

Hi,

Mine is a M14x R2 with Core i5-3210M, 8GB, and GT650M

I've been fighting with that issue from at least 3 months, and yesterday I found the fix.

Just download NVidia Inspector from www.guru3d.com/.../nvidia-inspector-download.html

Then follow the instructions on the Step Recorder file on this link mega.nz

I'm running Dying Light, Fallout 4 and The Witcher 3 on this computer.

2 Posts

January 1st, 2016 12:00

Hi

I have a M14x R2 with Ci5 3210M, 8GB of RAM and GT650m

I solved it like this

Download NVidia Inspector from www.guru3d.com/.../nvidia-inspector-download.html

An then follow the steps on the images you can download on the following link

mega.nz

It's a step recorder file.

I'm running Fallout 4, Dying Light and some other games and they run pretty smooth.

Good luck

No Events found!