I just got my new Alienware mx14 r2 with windows 8 and I need to perform factory reset because my father accidentally started registration with windows and now cannot remember password or email that he used. Nothing works. I tried hitting f8 for boot options but nothing happens it just gets me to login screen every time and cannot do anything. Can anyone help?
Please follow the steps provided below to access the “Troubleshoot” option to perform a factory reset:
1. Click on the “Power” icon on the login screen. 2. Hold down the “Shift” key and click “Restart” from the options provided.
3. The system restarts and displays the “Choose an option” screen.
4. Click on the “Troubleshoot” icon.
5. Click on the "Dell Backup and Recovery" icon.
6. The system restarts and comes back up, click “Next” on the “Dell Backup and Recovery” screen.
7. The system would be checked to see if the smart repair option can fix the issue, click “Next” once this is done.
8. You will be prompted to select the backup to be used, click the factory image option or select from one of the backups. Click “Next.”
9. You will be prompted to back up your files, if needed do so by selecting the option “Yes, backup my personal files” (Make sure to have an external backup hard drive handy.) or select “No, Erase my files.”
10. The system goes ahead and completes the restore of the operating system. Click “Restart” when prompted.
11. Follow the on-screen instructions to setup the system with windows.
Please let me know if you need further assistance.