n.kolyar
1 Copper

All WINDOWS OS causing problems, slowing down massively...interesting problem...!

Hey Guys, 

firstly thank you for reading...I will try and explain everything i can

Problem

any windows operating system i install(XP, XP64, Vista home Premium, 7 Ultimate) install on my dell 1520 laptop(configuration below) tends to slow down massively to the point of non usability. even refreshing takes 30 seconds. in vista and 7 i dint bother tracing the issue but in XP i found out this was because of the system process spiking every 30 seconds causing the system to run in to 99% usage for a short period causing it to slow down. the reason i don't think its a hardware issue is because i have successfully installed and am running Ubuntu for the last 4 months, but now i need to use some windows specific programs(and  my zune)

Solutions tried

Clean wipe and reinstall of OS including replacing the harddrive.(assuming it can not be a virus or malware issue)

Running in both SATA and AHCI mode...

My Theory

having tried so many things i think the problem is because of a conflicting driver(not been able narrow it down to one) but then again the system was running fine with the original set of drivers for almost 2 years...

Any help would be appreciated...thanks guys

Regards

Nishanth

Cofig

Dell Inspiron 1520

intel core 2 duo t7100 1.8ghz

Crucial 2 X 2gb DDR2 pc26400

WD Blue 250GB 5400 RPM

Nvidia 8600m GT 256 mb GFX

intel pro wireless/broadcom LAN/ bluetooth(no cellular)

Drivers

all the latest posted on the dell support website and latest INF's from the intel website

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: All WINDOWS OS causing problems, slowing down massively...interesting problem...!

You sound like a very technical person. Have you already tried running a Hardware diagnostics?

Press F12 at the DELL SPLASH screen upon startup. When you get to the BOOT MENU select diagnostics.

http://xps-resource.blogspot.com/

0 Kudos
n.kolyar
1 Copper

Re: All WINDOWS OS causing problems, slowing down massively...interesting problem...!

thank you for the quick reply....yeah i have run the diagnostics(mostly because i upgraded from 2gb to 4gb so thought that the memory might be corrupted) but it passed all tests...

also the reason i dont think hardware is a issue is because Ubuntu runs fine on the same exact configuration...

Regards

N

0 Kudos