Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 27th, 2017 16:00

All sounds start very loudly - XPS 9560

New Dell XPS 9560, second day of use.

Any sound played by the computer starts very loudly then adjust to the correct volume after. Short sounds such as message notifications turn into very uncomfortable loud pops. It happens also on videos and calls. With both speakers and headphones.

The problem is very similar to the one described on this thread http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/20003514, except that it describes a pop noise before and after a sound is played. In my case it only happens before.

Can you please point me to a driver update or similar solution? It is a premium laptop and I'm happy with it otherwise, I don't want to have to return it because of this issue.

Thank you

1 Message

July 25th, 2017 12:00

I can confirm that it's a driver and not a hardware issue since I dual boot to linux and I do not have this issue at all, but in Windows it is exactly as described here. A few milliseconds (maybe I would say 200ms) with a loud pop, followed by the correct volume of the sounds. My best example is hangouts, while chatting, after a while, I get a message and everyone in the company turns their heads to see who was the guy with max volume set on their notifications. If I keep my volume at about 30%, this doesn't happen. Only below that mark (or at least below ~25 is where starts to be noticeable).

March 29th, 2017 02:00

Good Day!

Along with the sound drivers on the computer, there would be a software like Wave max audio or Wave max pro. I would first suggest you try and disable all enhancements on the software and check if the issue still persists. 

Also, have you tried any troubleshooting steps on your own like updating drivers or the BIOS firmware? In order for us to assist you better, Please share the service tag of the computer, regsitered owner's name and email address with me over a private message to me.

March 29th, 2017 16:00

I can confirm that the problem happens with both Waves MaxxAudioPro enhancements enabled or disabled.

Next I'm going to try installing audio drivers and BIOS firmware as suggested. I'll post the results here.

March 29th, 2017 17:00

I can confirm that the problem still happens after installing the latest Realtek Audio Driver  Audio_Driver_9M9T9_WN32_6.0.1.8037_A03_01.EXE Version: 6.0.1.8037 ,A03 Last Updated: 24 Jan 2017.

March 29th, 2017 17:00

I can confirm that the problem still happens after installing the latest Dell XPS 15 9560 1.1.3 System BIOS XPS_15_9560_1.1.3.exe Last Updated: 23 Feb 2017

April 5th, 2017 02:00

Thank you for the confirmation. Please try these steps to isolate if this a hardware or software issue

1. Go the device manager, under ' sound, video and game controllers' uninstall and delete the realtek drivers.

2. Shutdown the computer after removing the drivers.

3. Power up the computer while holding the 'Fn', which will initiate the built-in hardware diagnostics. Once the test is complete, do share the results with us. Also, run the quick audio test which is available after the scans have completed. While running the audio test check if the speakers sound normal or if there is an issue with the sound at the beginning..

Do let us know how it goes.

April 24th, 2017 16:00

Sorry for the delayed answer. I complained about the problem on another channel and got a visit from a DELL engineer (one of the advantages of being in London I suppose). The engineer confirmed the issue and ordered replacement parts. In a second visit, he replaced the motherboard, the sound card and the speakers.

And... the problem was still happening!

I also followed the steps suggested in the last post by DELL-Aniketh S and I can confirm that the problem is still happening.

The first second or split second of any sound is VERY loud. It makes me jump from my chair when I'm wearing headphones.

Any software updates from DELL?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

April 24th, 2017 19:00

Any software updates from DELL?

Hello. Dell released a Realtek audio driver update a few days ago, for the XPS 9560 with Win10. Under "Fixes and Enhancements" it lists no fixes, so might be a dud.

A BIOS version 1.2.4 was released 2 weeks ago. No audio fixes are listed under "Fixes and Enhancements".

April 25th, 2017 02:00

Hello jimco,

Just finished installing the latest Realtek drivers (updated on 20 April 2017) and the problem is still happening loud and clear.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 25th, 2017 11:00

It seems the 9560 has some problems with the sound, as you have seen.  The other folks report loud pops, which you also describe in your post.

If it were to be a component on the motherboard, such as a capacitor, causing the problem, all you could do is to try for a replacement board.  The new board may or may not have the exact same problem.

If it is a software problem, and some say it is related to Waves, you should be able to at least have some effect on it through software.  Many with this problem seem to be using Skype and Chrome so having a clean install without using Skype or installing Chrome might help.

Maybe a few questions..since you say the onboard devices exhibit the problem, lets just stay with those.

Is the situation tied to any specific situation or software, such as streaming, or does it happen when listening to local music?  If it only happens at the start of a sound or playback, I would consider a component problem since it might be holding a higher than normal voltage which increases the current temporarily.  One way to test might be to start playing something and while doing that, generate some sound, like a system notification.  If the notification occurs normally then this scenario might be possible.  Plugged in or not would also be relevant.

Does having headphones plugged in without selecting them in Waves, make any difference?

Before you start playing any sound, do you check the volume levels for all devices involved, such as player volume and system volume to make sure none of them are set to 100%

The Waves panel has presets you can save and use.  Have you tried using one of those after saving a customized version.  If you have some presets saved, have you tried deleting them all.  On that same panel there is a sound test you could use to see how the presets might effect the playback.

Are you seeing any warning or error messages in Event Viewer.  When you open the Waves panel, how do you open it?

I am sorry I can't be of more help, but since I do not have your system, I cannot even verify the situation.

1 Message

April 29th, 2017 16:00

I seem to be having the same problem as described above. The loud sound only occurs when the audio starts. Once something is playing, no additional loud pops occur. However, if I stop playing audio for ~30 seconds, I will hear a very loud pop again once the audio restarts. It's as if the audio is temporarily increased to 100% for 0.5 seconds. So the question is whether this is a hardware issue or a software issue. Based on the information provided by "Saltgrass", it sounds like a hardware issue. Any recommendations? (Note: I have updated all relevant drivers along with the BIOS)

No Events found!