Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2009 05:00

An audio codec is needed to play this file. To determine if this codec is available to download from the Web, click Web Help.

Can any one help me please -I have a new Inspiron laptop with windows Vista and when I try to view video's that I have recorded I keep getting a blank screen and the following message “An audio codec is needed to play this file. To determine if this codec is available to download from the Web, click Web Help.” – tried searching the net but not sure about what I am doing – please please can someone tell me what I need to do.

Thank you

6 Posts

November 20th, 2009 06:00

Does the audio play at all?

There are two options here:

1) Install a media player that supports more codecs right away. Choose this option if you are not partial to Windows Media Player.

1. Go to here: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html and click the first Download link right next to "Not too far away".
  2. Click Run and wait for it to download.
  3. Click Run
  4. Go through the installer by just clicking Next, I Agree, Install, then Finish.
  5. VLC will now start.
  6. Click OK
  7. In VLC, go to the Media menu, and click Open File
  8. Browse to your video file and click Open.  Your video should play.

or

2) Try and figure out which codec you need to play the file. Once you find it, install the codec an you should be good to go.

1. Go to here: http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/GSpot270a.zip and click Open.
  2. Click Extract All Files
  3. Click Next, Next and then Finish
  4. Double-click GSpot and click Run
  5. Click OK
  6. Go to the File Menu, then click Open
  7. Once it's done processing, post back here the information in the Codec and Name fields in the Video section. I will find the codec for you.

4.6K Posts

November 20th, 2009 07:00

Welcome to the forums Kaz :emotion-21:

With all due respect to the poster above, there's no need to be trying alternative media players. 

The OS has advised what's missing - namely a suitable audio codec, so audio codecs are all that's required at this stage :emotion-55:

@ Kaz:  You're probably better choosing a complete codecs pack, since they include both audio and video codecs, which should cover you in any eventuality.

There's a specific Vista Codec Pack - which you can download here.

Although that pack should fix your problems (in the unlikely event it doesn't, there are many other codec packs available in the left menu of that same website for you to try), you might want to add that website to your bookmarks/favourites, so you can go back to it at any time - if needs be :emotion-5:

No Events found!