Nick H.1
6 Indium

Re: Any way to prevent "The AC power adapter type cannot be determined" message on XPS M1710? (AC adapter is properly plugged in)

Jump to solution

So there's no registry hack or anything I can do to bypass this issue?  When I plug in the AC adapter, the system obviously has power, but unless I wiggle it repeatedly until the battery light on the hinge illuminates in green (and it keeps getting worse and worse... now takes over a minute of wiggling on average), I get this error and the laptop will not allow me to start Windows.

0 Kudos
fmnjewel
1 Copper

Re: Any way to prevent "The AC power adapter type cannot be determined" message on XPS M1710? (AC adapter is properly plugged in)

Jump to solution

i have face same problem with everybody with "the ac adopter type cannot be determined" my laptop is Dell Studio XPS 16-1640 16" HD Laptop BLACK it seems no solution with this problem or a correct technical suggestion to overcome this problem especially from DELL manufacturer itself, what is wrong with this people?

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

Try a new Dell adapter.  If that doesn't solve the problem, the system needs an internal repair (on this model as I recall, the power jack is cabled to the system board - replace the power jack).

0 Kudos
kleck096
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I bought a Chinese knockoff off eBay and it works great... $30 too instead of the $100-something Dell wants to charge you for a sub-par charger. In fact, I would call it a Chinese knock-UP!

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

The genuine Dell power adapters generally cost between $30 and 40.

www.parts-people.com/index.php

0 Kudos
kleck096
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Cheapest eBay one I could find was $50. Either way this one i bought now has already outlasted the Dell one

0 Kudos
fmnjewel
1 Copper

Jump to solution

so all DELL's laptop experience same problem, so buy no ore this brand.

8 Krypton

Jump to solution

The battery is not getting a signal from the charger as to what charger is being used. This signal is sent via the small wire you see in the middle of the DC power plug. Either the wire in the charger cord is broken, or the connection from the laptop DC socket to the system board has broken. Both are common, with the socket problem more often. The first thing to do is either try your charger on another laptop, or try another charger on yours. If the charger is good, then the power socket needs to be replaced. Fortunately, on the E1525 (and the M1530), the power socket is not soldered to the system board, but is a small board that plugs into the system board. It will be repaired under warranty, but is inexpensive and not too difficult to replace yourself if out of warranty.

If the charger is bad,Maybe you should purchase a New Dell charger and these links maybe help you,Good luck!

accessories.us.dell.com/.../productdetail.aspx

www.eachbattery.com/dell-xps-m1710-ac-adapter-charger-p-543

0 Kudos
causewayman
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I had this problem almost a year ago.  I bought a new adapter for about 30 bucks.  It solved the issue.  The second one started doing the same thing almost a year later.  What I found was that where the end of the adapter that plugs into the laptop was the problem.  The single wire inside the connector is not making contact.  All you have to do, WHILE EVERYTHING IS UNPLUGGED!!!!!!! is to take a pen or mini screw driver and barely offset that pin.  I mean just the littlest bit.  This gets it to make contact with the laptop on the inside.   I now have 2 good adapters that were constantly not charging the battery.  It is all good now.

0 Kudos
kleck096
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

That was the first thing I tried when I was having this problem and it didn't make a difference. For me the wire from the pin going inside the cable is the part that broke. New non -Dell adapter from China works much better! (and much cheaper)

0 Kudos