Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 11th, 2014 20:00

Anyone else have a USB port die after Microsoft's "Patch Tuesday" today?

This could be hardware failure coincidental with today's updates, but has anyone else with a Studio 1749 or similar, had a USB port go bad.

After the reboot following the 15 or so updates, an unexpected driver install started for the port, and immediately failed. Open Device Manager and there's an "Unknown Device" with yellow triangle.

Location is: Port_#0001.Hub_#0004

Device Status says: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

807 Posts

February 13th, 2014 10:00

Hi,

Presumably it was just the usual monthly MS updates and didn't include any sort of hardware driver?

Uninstall the "unknown device" (inc drivers) via Device Manager and reboot the laptop.

Post back with results.

February 13th, 2014 16:00

No hardware updates, but.... it turns out this is a hardware failure.

I restored a backup from several weeks ago, and first bootup it failed again. Listed in Device Manager as an "Unknown Device", and now it's getting worse. Uninstall removes it, reboot brings it back with same issue, driver install fails.

The USB port on the left side of the laptop is dead entirely, though still provides power. The two ports on the right side only work with thumb drives, and a USB cable attached to my weather station (it's a USB-to-serial device). My Garmin GPS will not connect properly at all.

Trying to figure out if this is fixable, but suspect it isn't. Replacing the laptop is not in the budget for quite some time.

It *IS* a bit over 3 years old but has not had any hard use whatsoever. I'm beginning to regret going with Dell, as my last two laptops were HP and lasted 7 years each. I care for laptops the same way on all of them. 7 versus 3.5 is not a savings.

807 Posts

February 14th, 2014 11:00

Don't know if you've tried the MS Fix it tool, but here it is and is useful for Code 43 errors...

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/hardware_device_problems/

If it is hardware failure, then fixing it isn't straight forward. You'll need to determine exactly why each port has failed. The fix may involve resoldering which should only be done by a qualified technician or somebody familiar with circuit boards and soldering irons.

Alternatively, you could source new replacement parts here....

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=category&id=148&subid=293

No Events found!