Highlighted
angelca88
1 Copper

Audio Device gone

I have a Dell Vostro 1500. Have it is for quite a long time and I just suddenly lost my Audio Device. I do not know how. When I try to go into the Control Panel and select sounds it will not let me adjust volume or re-select a default device. It just states that the Audio Device is missing and will not let me click on anything. Can someone help me to know what to do? I am not sure if I can fix it with a download from the Dell site or what? Thank you for your assistance. I really miss it. I use my laptop for all my entertainment purposes at home.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
8 Krypton

Re: Audio Device gone

I am not sure if I can fix it with a download from the Dell site or what?

Please see The "No Audio" Symptom FAQ. Start with the Dell Diagnostics audio tests (in part ll). If the tests pass then you will be able to fix it. If the tests fail then the audio system is probably beyond repair.

Next try System Restore (in part lll). Sometimes "no audio device" is a result of a Microsoft automatic update. Sometimes System Restore will fix it but often the only fix is to restore the computer back to the factory configuration and to turn off automatic updates.

The next step would be to try to re-install the audio driver. There is a link to The Audio Driver Facts FAQ which explains how to delete all of the driver files from the hard drive so you can do a clean installation of the Sigmatel  audio driver, or how to install the generic Windows driver which is an alternative to the Sigmatel driver (but this only will work if you have Vista or 7 -- not XP). The Vostro 1500 downloads page. When on that page first select your operating system.

If you need to reply please mention the name of your operating system.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos