Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 8th, 2015 13:00

Audio/Microphone on Inspiron 15 laptop not working post upgrade to Windows 10

I have a Inspiron 15 bought mid 2013 with Windows 8 and little used. I have just upgraded to Windows 10 and the upgrade was swift and easy.

Since the upgrade the microphone at full volume can barely be heard (my contacts on Skype cannot hear me at all).

I have tried installing the latest Realtech driver and also the Microsoft driver for this device, but neither make any difference; I have now returned the the original driver pending getting some advice.

It seems that this is a common problem with Windows 10 because there is a lot of similar problems being aired on the Microsoft support forums.

Has anyone got a fix please?   Waiting ;-)

Graham

21 Posts

October 7th, 2015 03:00

You're not alone as apparently lots of us have this problem. Short term fix is to change the driver from Realtek to the generic Microsoft HD Audio Device in Device Manager. The long term fix is going to take Dell+ Realtek+Microsoft to recognise the problem and fix the drivers.  

1 Message

October 2nd, 2015 08:00

Exactly the same problem.......installed latest realtek drivers 2.79 version for Windows 10 all to no avail Cortana just can't hear me!!!

1 Message

October 3rd, 2015 10:00

Dude same thing. My microphone stopped working as soon as i shifted to wndows 10 from windows 8.1.

Even my revert period is over now.

Please help.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 3rd, 2015 12:00

Even my revert period is over now.

You can still recover Win8.1 by using the recovery media you created when you first started the laptop. If you did not create the recovery media this page explains a way to get 8.1 back, although I'm not sure it works after installing Win10..

This page explains how to undo the Win10 installation for those still within the 30 day escape period.

21 Posts

October 7th, 2015 05:00

This morning I emailed pctech@realtek.com with all the detail. If only to try and make sure Realtek are aware of the problem as well.

21 Posts

October 7th, 2015 05:00

But is Dell or Microsoft listening?   Hello out there................

4 Posts

October 7th, 2015 12:00

I did not realize my mic stopped working with the upgrade to Win10. I managed to do a voice recording this morning, but before it worked it said Windows needed permission to access my mic. Now it doesn't work with Skype or Magic Jack. I'm going to try this generic driver you mention here.

4 Posts

October 7th, 2015 12:00

The generic driver didn't work for me either. I'm giving up on it for now, but I'll be excited to hear when they come up with a solution. Glad I'm not the only one with this problem.

October 20th, 2015 08:00

No, they ARE NOT listening.  I'm so disappointed in Dell.  Why are they not even admitting that they apparently have no intentions on upgrading the drivers.  I now have to use an external headset with a microphone to use Skype.  What is wrong with Dell?  I'm really disappointed and shocked that this is still acceptable in 2015.  This reminds me of the 90's!!!  

21 Posts

October 20th, 2015 09:00

Hello everyone who is still suffering from this real problem.  I'm pleased to say that I have found a solution and sincerely hope it will work for others.  I have also posted this On the Microsoft forum. Please report back if it also works for you. This is what I posted on the other forum...

“I think I may have found a solution for this problem.....at least I have for my own laptop.

I was offered a scan by AVG using their AVG Driver Updater and an initial scan showed nine out of date drivers for various devices: One of them was the Realtek Sound driver, but to actually use the programme you have to buy the software for £16.99, but if you are not satisfied with it you can get a refund within seven days.

I bought the software and ran the programme, downloaded the nine updates and let the programme do its job. I had to do restarts along the line and it took some time, but eventually it reported all successfully installed.

I then tried using Cortana and after adjusting the volume, she actually responded!! Have made a few more tweaks in the volume controls and they are still a bit loud for my comfort, but any lower and Cortana has difficulty in hearing.

However the result is that the Microphone is now working..

The Realtek Driver version is 6.0.1.7564, so it could be worth while trying to install that if you can find it (It seems to be offered on Softpedia web site)  but it also could be that other driver updates installed also had some use in getting this problem sorted.

I'd love to hear if this works for anyone else.  Good luck.”

Here is the direct link:   http://drivers.softpedia.com/downloadTag/Realtek%20HDA%20Driver

21 Posts

October 20th, 2015 09:00

The official Dell driver is now up to 6.0.1.7610 with no fix, so if you've found a result with 6.0.1.7564 there must be something else happening.

October 20th, 2015 12:00

Solved problem by BACKING OUT Windows 10 upgrade.  Microphone and camera memory card slot now work again on Windows 7 Pro.  Disappointed I had to back off of Windows 10, but can't do without these things on a regular basis.

No Events found!