Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 28th, 2013 07:00

Audio drivers gone? Dell Inspiron 6400

I really need help my audio drivers were uninstalled or something...I think I got malware and my sound just stopped working....

Please help!

750 Posts

July 28th, 2013 09:00

Hi soulwaves2000,

Glad to know that the issue is resolved.

Based on what you have mentioned, your computer must be having SIGMATEL Integrated Audio and hence the drivers installation worked.

Feel free to post in the forum for any issues. We’d be glad to assist.

750 Posts

Hi soulwaves2000,

Did you try installing the drivers from support website?

To download and install the drivers:

• Please visit: http://dell.to/10GaKAc
  • Enter your computer’s service tag and press enter
  • Click "Drivers & Downloads" tab, select the operating system installed
  • Download and install the drivers listed under the category “Audio”

Do let me know the results.

I thought I did, but it didn't ask me for my service tag...I'm doing it now, will keep you posted THANKS!!

July 28th, 2013 08:00

I had downloaded and installed the RECOMMENDED ONE :

Creative Labs Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy ADVANCED HD Audio, v.RC6, 44.1K A02

And re-started my computer...didn't work. Then after you suggested it, I found and entered the service tag, and downloaded and installed an OPTIONAL ONE :

SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio, v.5.10.0.5515_RC22-WHQL, A11

(Driver)

And to my surprise, my computer restarted with the sound...don't know why the optional one worked and the recommended didn't, but anyway...thanks for your help! Cheers !

July 28th, 2013 10:00

Right .a sigmatel.

Thanks so much and I'll definitely be back if I have an issue.

Cheers!

750 Posts

July 28th, 2013 10:00

Hi soulwaves2000,

You're welcome. Have a good one.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 28th, 2013 12:00

I had downloaded and installed the RECOMMENDED ONE :

Creative Labs Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy ADVANCED HD Audio, v.RC6, 44.1K A02

And re-started my computer...didn't work. Then after you suggested it, I found and entered the service tag, and downloaded and installed an OPTIONAL ONE :

SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio, v.5.10.0.5515_RC22-WHQL, A11

(Driver)

And to my surprise, my computer restarted with the sound...don't know why the optional one worked and the recommended didn't,

The Dell web site is not very well thought out(for a computer company). You have to have an interpreter sometimes to understand their special meanings for words.

Where the page says that a driver is "recommended", "optional" or "urgent",  that only applies to a situation where you already have an older version of the driver on your computer and you desire advice on whether or not to update to a newer version of it. However Dell does not explain what those terms mean and so they just confuse people. 

Since you did not previously have the Creative software on your computer then the "recommended" term did not apply to you.

Where the page says that the Sigmatel audio driver is "optional", that means that if you have the older version of the driver and your audio is working okay, then Dell thinks it is not important for you to get the latest version. (The newest driver added a function called "stereo mix" that the previous versions of the driver lacked.) However your audio was not working so in your case it was not "optional" but necessary that you installed the driver.

The audio hardware on all the Dell laptops back when yours was made was a Sigmatel audio chip. If you were running Windows XP then the Sigmatel driver was not optional in the normal sense of the word. You could not get audio unless you installed the Sigmatel driver. (In the case of Vista there was a native driver that worked good enough to produce basic audio.)

The Creative software was an optional purchase that was an add-on to enhance the sound of the audio produced by the Sigmatel hardware. It was always "optional" in the normal sense of the word. You do not need it for your laptop to produce audio. The way you could buy it back in the day was you installed the software from Dell's site, then that directed you to Creative's site where you paid for a license to unlock it.

To sum up, Dell means "optional" and "recommended" to apply to people who already have a necessary driver and are updating it to a newer version. Dell no longer produces new drivers for those old laptops but the confusing terminology remains on the driver page.

August 1st, 2013 07:00

Ok thanks for the info. But there's no way for a person to really know what to do if their sound goes out, unless they're a computer programmer or smth....?!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 1st, 2013 08:00

But there's no way for a person to really know what to do if their sound goes out

I wrote the "No Audio" FAQ to help folks when in that situation. It is meant to show anyone with some knowledge of computers the logical path to follow in order to diagnose the symptom of no audio.

August 14th, 2013 11:00

Hello Kalyan, I'm having a problem with Format factory, do you know this program?  It used to hardcode my subtitles, but no longer does it. I enter the srt file into the "additional subtitles" box, but nothing. It no longer does it. Going crazy here...:(

750 Posts

August 15th, 2013 05:00

Hi soulwaves2000,

I have personally never used Format Factory. While I was researching about the issue, I came across the following links which might be of some help:
http://bit.ly/19v4nKZ
http://bit.ly/16MZI17

Hope this helps!

No Events found!