Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 11th, 2015 19:00

Audio goes out automatically

Mine is a Inspiron N5110 running Win 7.

For the past few months, the audio is not working. I could hear the bootup sound. Once it is bootup, and when I play any (media file or stream from browser) no sound. I will have to reboot again and could only hear the bootup sound.

If I goto Control Panel -> Sound -> Configure ->Test, I hear the sound sometimes and other time it says, sound device is being used by some other program.

Tried the Dell Diagnostics, and no issue found.

Has anyone had this issue and solved it ?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 12th, 2015 09:00

Hello. Download and install a fresh copy of your audio driver from the Inspiron 15R N5110 support page.

Go to the page and click on Drivers & Downloads. Verify that the "Change OS" button is showing Windows 7. Expand the Audio category and obtain one of the IDT drivers there.

After you download and install the driver, test the audio by playing an audio file from your hard drive. If the file works all right then your audio system is okay, but if it still won't work on the internet then probably there is something wrong with your browser or its plugins.

9 Posts

June 12th, 2015 13:00

Tried this and it didn't help.

As usual, could hear the bootup sound or sometimes sound if a file is played soon after bootup.

But the problem occurs in few minutes. No sound from locally stored media file or browser or any system sounds.

9 Posts

June 15th, 2015 19:00

Any advice other than re installing OS ?

It's really frustrating that can't use the computer.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 16th, 2015 07:00

Any advice other than re installing OS ?

Well, you have a mish-mash of symptoms that started months ago, so now there's no telling exactly what is causing them. If you reset back to the original factory configuration one of 2 things will happen

> the audio will work again -- that means that the problem was in the software or configuration somewhere.

> or the audio won't work -- which means it is a failure of the hardware and no amount of fiddling with the software would have fixed it anyway.

It's really frustrating that can't use the computer.

A workaround would be to get an inexpensive usb audio jack. Usb audio devices work separately from the internal audio system so they by-pass the problems. However you can only hear the audio through headphones or external speakers.

5 Posts

June 21st, 2015 05:00

Good morning, Jimco.

I thought I'd join this discussion. I purchased an XPS 13 9333 in March - Windows 8.1. The audio problems started soon after I received the machine. Initially, re-installing the audio driver gave me some success. But just recently, the audio subsystem refused to load. It didn't even show up in Device Manager. So, I used Control Panel to remove the audio driver using Programs and Features. Then, reloaded my machine and Hey Presto! The audio system came up using the native windows drivers. The audio system has survived two machine re-starts since then so I'm hopeful that the problem may be resolved.

BTW - I was intending to install Dell's Windows 7 audio drivers as I found from the forums that someone has had success with this. I  don't need to do it now.

But I did get to thinking, my shipment had a bundle code of CNX9321 and the Windows 7 audio driver has a serial number beginning XPS-L321X. Could the two things be linked?

Best Regards

Snapsh0t

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 21st, 2015 10:00

Windows 7 audio driver has a serial number beginning XPS-L321X. Could the two things be linked?

Hello Snapsh0t. All I can say is that Dell had a model named XPS L321x and Dell released 6 Windows 7 Realtek audio drivers for it. Maybe one of those was compatible with your model and Dell included it.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 22nd, 2015 08:00

I purchased an XPS 13 9333 in March - Windows 8.1.

Just wanted to double check something. You recently bought the 2013 9333 model and not the 2015 9343 model?

5 Posts

June 22nd, 2015 11:00

And again - I do apologise

Snapsh0t

5 Posts

Un-necessary post - still getting used to how the forum works

Snapsh0t

5 Posts

JImco,

Yes, it was a Dell special offer, bundle CNX9321. My requirement was for storage (256Gb SSD) rather than oomph, so I went for it. If the audio had been up-to-scratch, the machine would have met my needs.

By the way, the audio continues to be troublesome, whatever audio driver I install. Looks like I've got one of those laptops with a faulty motherboard.

Best regards

Snapsh0t

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 24th, 2015 06:00

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately performing a system recovery is the only way to definitely nail down whether or not there is audio hardware failure since Dell stopped including Dell 32-bit Diagnostics in the laptops.

5 Posts

July 24th, 2015 06:00

Hi Jimco,

I'm back again.

After a couple of engineer visits and an un-necessary rebuild of my system, the audio is working as it should.

First visit, replaced motherboard with refurbished motherboard also replaced audio board. Left me to restore machine back to factory settings. No change - audio still unstable and pretty much unusable.

So, I asked Dell to provide a fully tested motherboard and audio board and fit to my machine.

This time they also replaced the interface cable which connects the audio board to the motherboard.

That seemed to do the trick. Audio is working satisfactorily, so the audio problems could very well have been due to the interface cable all along. Oh well.

I do feel a little aggrieved that I paid for a new machine in March which quickly developed faults and now only a few months later I have a refurbished machine. I've asked Dell to extend the warranties in view of the problems I've had. I await their reply.

Best regards

Snapsh0t

No Events found!