Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

March 19th, 2017 13:00

Audio problem with M2010 running Win7 x32

I have successfully upgraded my old XPS M2010 laptop to Windows 7 Ultimate x32. I am using a USB keyboard as the wireless keyboard is not working. My problem: I cannot hear sound through the built in speakers. I DO have sound if I use headphones. Is this a driver problem? Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 20th, 2017 06:00

Is this a driver problem?

Hello. In this post I have suggestions for installing a driver, and for testing the speakers. It doesn't matter in which order you do them.

The only reason it would be a driver-related problem is if there is a mis-configuration of some sort. Re-installing the audio driver would fix all of those kind of issues.

You are using either the Windows native audio driver or one of the Sigmatel drivers that Dell released for the M2010. It should not matter which one, because the speakers should work with either. However, if you have not yet installed a Sigmatel driver, and want to, then download either the XP or Vista version, and install it using compatibility mode. Here is one way to do that:

1. Download and save the audio driver to your desktop or any convenient location on the hard drive.
2. Double click on the new folder to extract (unzip) the driver files.
3. The extractor wizard will create a new folder for the driver files. It will be at "C:\DELL\DRIVERS\Rxxxxx". Write down the exact location that the wizard creates.
4. If the driver begins to install automatically, halt (cancel) the installation.
5. Browse to the driver files on the hard drive (the location you wrote down).
6. Find the "setup.exe" file.
7. Right click on setup.exe to open the context menu.
8. Select the Properties.
9. Select the Compatibility tab.
10. Check the box "run this program in compatibility mode for"... WinVista (or WinXP if installing that version).

[Note 1: if you go to the M2010 support page and see a Creative Labs Audigy Advanced Audio add-on driver, do not install that driver before installing a Sigmatel driver, or else it could take down the audio system and will need a Registry repair to fix.

Note 2: if you need to have stereo mix and don't see it in the Vista version of the Sigmatel driver, then install the XP version.]

Whether you use the native or the Sigmatel driver, if you are satisfied that the configuration is correct, then test the speakers using the PSA or ePSA test.

> If you don't hear the beep tones that means that the speakers have become disconnected or have failed.

> If you do hear the tones that means that the speakers are working and are connected. In that case probably the reason that audio is not coming through them is that the sensing circuitry in the headphone jack has failed. When that happens it prevents audio from being switched from the jack to the speakers. The Headphone Jack FAQ has more details about this issue.

No Events found!