Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 11th, 2012 11:00

Audio suddenly choppy? - Inspiron 1520

Hi there.

So, I've had my Inspiron 1520 for quite a few years now. it has Windows XP on it. It has worked fine until, suddenly, a couple of days ago, the audio became choppy and crackly. If I'm on youtube or itunes or something like that, there is constantly this horrible scratching noise. It's also like this through headphones. However, if I insert a DVD or a CD, everything is fine. 

I've tried a couple of things, such as looking for new drivers and adjusting my audio settings. I also made sure it wasn't set to PIO. Nothing seems to help, but I know it must not be the speakers, since they work just fine with commercial disks.

Does anyone have any advice for this? I've been looking for hours now, to no avail. ): Thanks. 

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 11th, 2012 13:00

Do you mean that when a commercial disk is in the optical drive, the noise stops that you were hearing on youtube or itunes? If I am understanding you correctly then I think the problem could be the firmware in the optical drive or some other problem with it.

4 Posts

November 11th, 2012 14:00

Yes, that's right. Also, itunes seems to work fine now, too, although there is a tiny bit of choppiness.

It does seem to be a problem with the firmware.. Do you have any suggestions about how to fix that? It started so suddenly.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 11th, 2012 14:00

Could you just leave a disk in the drive?

A few years ago there was a similar problem with firmware version 7 of the TS-L462C drive, but you should not have that drive in the 1520. That particular problem is described in the Choppy/Skipping Audio FAQ.

4 Posts

November 11th, 2012 15:00

I just tried that, and it does help a little bit, but not by much. I actually did read about the problem with the TS-L462C drive, but you're right, I don't have that drive in this laptop. It's odd, though, because the problem does seem to be the same.

1 Message

November 24th, 2012 16:00

Hi, I have exactly the same issue and started about 10 days ago, 1520 & XP installed- did you get any solution?

1 Message

November 26th, 2012 14:00

I am having the same trouble, it started right when you say yours did, now about 3 weeks ago.  I listen to I Heart Radio" and Youtube and the audio is choppy and scratchy.  Every word is clipped off or distorted with a scratchy sound.  CDs & DVDs play fine.

4 Posts

November 26th, 2012 23:00

Yup, mine is still happening, too. No fix yet. I thought that if I just pushed through, it would fix itself.. but nothing. No drivers need to be updated or anything like that. ):

No Events found!