Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

A

1 Message

October 27th, 2005 23:00

Automatic Scrolling and Hardware Configuration Recovery Menu

I have a Inspiron 8200 with XP Pro.

Just recently when I would open IE, when the page would load up it would automatically scroll to the bottom. Then scroll up half way and then scroll back down, and then repeat itself. In addition when I try to type anything the cursor moves to the right as if the space bar is being held down. In addition when I go to expand the arrow by the clock (to the left to see hidden icons) it moves over, but then immediatly moves back and then repeats for a while.

Also, not sure if these are related but, when I reboot now I come to a screen that says:

"Hardware Profile/Configuration Recovery Menu"

and asks me to select a profile...only one profile in list...."Undocked Profile"

Please help me..what is wrong with my system.

Is this a windows problem, harddrive problem, something else??

HELP??????

October 28th, 2005 13:00

What kind of behaviour do you get when you open up a program like Notepad? It almost sounds like your keyboard has some stuck keys. You can use Dell's diagnostics to test your hardware - they would have come on a CD with your laptop, the Drivers & Utilities CD. Booting to the CD will run the diagnostics.

The profile thing sounds like your computer recovered from an error, and was trying to load the last known hardware configuration.

If the diagnostics don't come up with any obvious errors, I'd try a complete re-format and re-install of Windows. The 8200 is fairly old, and a reinstall every once in a while is always a good idea, IMO. Make sure that you have all of your drivers, either on the CD I mentioned, or downloaded from Dell in advance.

Reinstall instructions are listed here:

No Events found!