Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

N

3 Posts

October 16th, 2008 00:00

Avoid Dell Laptops!!!!

I bought a Dell computer in April of 2008.  Shortly there after I encountered many problems with the machine.  The fan was making an awful noise.  I called Dell and they promptly came out to my place of business and replaced the fan. 

Two weeks later this new fan started making the same noise.  They came out and replced the fan AND the motherboard.  A week later the new fan started making noise.  Noises that sounded like a drill from the dentist - loud!  I had to lock the laptop in the bathroom while I met with customers!

In the midst of all of this, my computer stopped hybernating and the only way it would shut down is to hold the power button down.  I called again and at this point (they tried to resolve the hybernating problem and was told they couldn't fix it), to my insistance, said that they would replace the lemon computer that I have.  This was at the end of AUGUST.

I was promised many times that this new computer would be received the first few days in September.  Then I was told the 8th of September, then 2-3 Business days more times then I can count.  I have been given a 'special' number to call but no one has ever given me a call back when I have called. 

I get a call sometimes, and then, nothing for over a week's time.  I was given an order # and then was told it was canceled because of how long it has been.  I got a new order number and when I called their automated number said it was already delivered...December of 2004!!!!! 

This special extension I was given, I was told if you call that number that someone calls you back within "1-2 hours" but like I said previously, to date, I have never received a call back. 

I run a business and also take classes at a local University. And this doesn't account for any personal time that I use my laptop for. All I have ever asked from Dell is a computer that works.  I have repeatedly been promised this replacement computer and constantly been lied to. They already have my money so I have no recourse in which to get what was promised to me and what was covered under warantee. 

I called Dell on 10/1 to find out the status since my promised call of 9/30 never happened.  I was on the phone for 2 hours, transfered 5 times and, after talking with a supervisor was HUNG UP ON. (This is not a new phenomenon, I have been hung up on 4 or 5 times now since this process started...I just now started to keep record of it.)

After a complaint to the BBB, the next night I had an email and voice mail on my home phone from a new person at a new extension.  I left a voice mail. 

I received a call back 10/3 at my business where this rude employee proceeded to tell me that I would get my computer whenever it shipped.  That is EXACTLY what I have been told since this process started!!!!  I was first promised a new computer at the end of AUGUST and it is now October!!  He was rude and told me that I could not speak to anyone else, not a supervisor. 

I was told that it was scheduled to ship on September 29th.  The parts are backordered and he doesn't know when they will come in!!!!  And this is their resolution center???  I have NEVER in my life had such a horrible customer service experience.  The hours (I roughly counted them up, well over 30 hours worth) I have spent on trying to get a working computer could have easily paid for a replacement computer.  Dell's employee, who is supposedly a "Executive Support Resolver" told me nothing more then the lies I have been told up until this point by other Dell agents.

It is now October 15th, I have NO working computer and no one has contacted me since from Dell.  They have my money and I have a computer that is nothing more then a paperweight at this point. 

Please, do yourself a HUGE favor and countless hours of agony...buy a Toshiba, buy a HP, buy a Gateway...whatever, just don't buy a Dell. 

October 16th, 2008 02:00

While I appreciate your frustration (and your right to vent), your conclusions are absurd.

Message Edited by XPSM1530_owner on 10-16-2008 08:03 AM

3 Posts

October 16th, 2008 02:00

????

How do you figure? 

29 Posts

October 16th, 2008 07:00

Use the law.  If you bought by Credit Card, attack Dell through that route.  You clearly have faulty goods and therefore a right to the support service you bought your money back.  If you are UK based, use the small claims court.  Its very simple and gets real attention from the likes of Dell 

I too have had bad (v bad in one case) experiences with Dell but overall, I do not support your statement.  Dell mass produce and mass support at some of the lowest of prices in the market.  I am on something like my 5th Dell laptop and have bought/installed 10s of desktops for friends.  The total service they offer far exceeds that of other manufacturers. 

3 Posts

October 16th, 2008 11:00

Thank you for your response and suggestions Leathtj. 

I am pursuing through my credit card as of 2 days ago.  I wouild have completely agreed with you about Dell before this occurance.  Actually, would have agreed with you up until about 3 weeks ago.  I completely understand that from time to time, errors happen and there are defects in a large operation.  But after this amount of time, and especially when their support resolver told me I would just have to wait, as long as it takes for it to arrive, I finally had enough.  To make matters worse, the computer cord has always worked intermittantly since I bought the computer (if the cord sits funny it wouldn't get power) and stopped working completely.  My previous Dell laptop has a different connection.  I didn't even worry about it since I was told a new computer, complete with new cord was on it's way, but it never comes.

I am worried by your statement about other manufacturers (when this is all said and done, I will need to purchase a new laptop)...is this the norm for ALL computer companies?  I have only used Dell since like 10 years ago when Gateway was big. 

7 Posts

October 18th, 2008 17:00

I can't believe my post was deleted...all I can wish you is good luck in that case :smileywink:

808 Posts

October 18th, 2008 21:00

I've been with and using Dells for 8 years now. As a matter of fact because of my recommendation the company I work for now has over 300 Dells in the offices through out the US. (Of course we have our own ITS department and go to them for any help) But I never heard of a complaint with any of those computers. This M1730 is a replacement for a XPS Gen2 computer that had a short. It was at my doorstep only 2 weeks after they said they was going to replace mine. I was kind of surprised that it was a new and not refurbished one. But if you think warning anyone here not to buy a Dell is going to help, you might be a little late. :smileysurprised: most people here already own a Dell. Dell put this forum here so users can help users. I came here with a problem years ago, I come back now to see if I can help someone that needs it. I hope they get the computer replaced for you. I don't have any advise on that part you haven't already received.

146 Posts

October 19th, 2008 00:00

I sent you a pm with some legal interesting remaks as well and I have been through exactly the same situation as you in the past...

Where are you UK or US... IF UK the legal advice goes in US teh contract may differ I would have a read of it...

21 Posts

October 23rd, 2008 13:00

I hope Dell get their act together and replace your laptop soon Nancii! The service you have received is a disgrace, but all so common these days :smileysad:

For what it's worth, my Dell M1530 has not been without ongoing problems, mostly caused by Vista, but my last laptop was a HP. My AU$3600 HP worked for about 4 months, and the rest of the warranty period it was 'being repaired' but never was. It ended up being out of warranty the last time I got it back, and so they refused to continue servicing it as a warranty repair (plus the retailer charged me the shipping costs whenever I had it serviced!). Anyway, that's old news. Just FYI :smileywink:

146 Posts

October 23rd, 2008 14:00

@chrisby80 wrote:

I hope Dell get their act together and replace your laptop soon Nancii! The service you have received is a disgrace, but all so common these days :smileysad:

For what it's worth, my Dell M1530 has not been without ongoing problems, mostly caused by Vista, but my last laptop was a HP. My AU$3600 HP worked for about 4 months, and the rest of the warranty period it was 'being repaired' but never was. It ended up being out of warranty the last time I got it back, and so they refused to continue servicing it as a warranty repair (plus the retailer charged me the shipping costs whenever I had it serviced!). Anyway, that's old news. Just FYI :smileywink:

Were I in your shoes I would have pursued a legal route by requesting legal advice in your area or part of the world regarding retail law and consumer rights.

You will be surprised to find that even after a warranty has expired if a machine which like yours was never satisfactorily repaired and would be reasonable to expect a longer life span that the Retailer or Dell in this case can still be legally responsible for providing you with a fully working machine..

I don't know what the your retail law says or what your consumer rights say but even today I would have hoped that you made this case official y writing a letter to the nearest Dell Office and direct it with all respective reference numbers for services calls all the servicing paperwork and how long this went for at the same time, like I stated please consult as a matter of urgency even now any government consumer rights organization and find out what your rights are.

I have fought long and hard with The NEW Dell ways of customer Dissatisfaction and in y area Im well versed with retail law and consumer rights specially distance selling clauses.

If you have paid Dell with a credit card you can also in retrospect complain regarding this.

This all process should cost you very little money wise depending if you contact Dell via Mobile or landline but it will cost you a great deal of time and relentless persistence which without you are just another Victim and not a happy customer. Always ask your cases to be escalated to floor supervisors and then to Customer Relations managers But in India I advise you they are mostly unhelpful.

Please make your cases in writing when all other avenues have been looked at and bore no positive results...

Take names and dates and quote everything its been said and claimed by the dell representatives this is your right as a consumer and Dell do not make it very clear what some or their contractual clauses actually mean, the majority of us have no legal experience and are dissuaded because you can't understand what your rights really are and what contractual clauses may under your legislation be considered illegal.

There is a ultimate a contractual clause that specifies if any clause is not legal then the rest of the contract is not considered void, Im afraid these are dirty tactics but every company employs highly skilled lawyers to ensure that in the end if you loose focus you end up another statistic. I ensure you all that Dell extra warranties are a means of making quick money like selling insurance its a product that has no cost involved for the company and if you don't use it they make yet more money out of you....

I will start a topic in How to complain because I feel most of you are not sure what to do. Basic rules apply to all cases. this is my way of helping the users in this forum consider it my personal and great hour to provide you with any guidance you need to help you get what you paid for. Nothing more nothing less.

21 Posts

October 24th, 2008 23:00

X3lectric that was HP that mucked me about. I have to say so far Dell seem alot better in that they have more of a support base online.

Actually since my post my Dell M1530 has shat itself so I'm embarking on the whole repair adventure with Dell which will be interesting to see how they shape up. So far they've advised me that a tech will have to come out and replace my mobo and hdd (hopefully this means I won't have the same NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT that I've heard has a fault). Waiting to hear about scheduling to get a tech out so *fingers crossed* they come out during next week before I go back to work.

146 Posts

October 25th, 2008 00:00

I know I read your post but my guidelines apply to any company goods purchased and any part of the world, except of course the localized info about UK law...

on a side note were I in your shoes I would have wanted a brand new replacement not a repair of that magnitude.... Make sure you sign that tech paperwork when the guy is finished that not only the lot works but he as not broken anything in process, that has happened to me and the reason why I joined this forum and the reason I posted what that top link on my signature says, even though I been a customer with Dell for more than 10 years.

Quality of service as indeed deteriorated and its frustrating to get issues sorted but at the end I followed my own advice and they call me today to arrange replacing my broken Bezel this Monday coming

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=Tech_Talk_XPS_Laptop&thread.id=31158

if you ever get stuck I made it easier for you guys to know what to do if of course you don't already know. :) 

No Events found!