Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 9th, 2015 18:00

BIOS BUG REPORT: XPS 15 9550, CPU Speed capped after switching from battery to AC power

I noticed a very similar bug for a Dell Latitude posted on this forum and am shocked that Dell has not fixed these bios bugs.

I have a brand new XPS 15 9550 and I noticed that when you connect AC power after being on battery power, the CPU frequency gets capped at 1.69 GHz as opposed to the usual 3.5 GHz. The only way to fix this is to then reboot or sleep/resume the system. What is the best way to report this BIOS bug to Dell? There has to be some way to get Dell to fix the issue in a BIOS update.

I have found several other users also complaining of this same issue:

forum.notebookreview.com/.../help-needed-from-new-xps-owners-report-serious-bios-bug-to-dell.783715

I really hope Dell fixes this issue since it is unacceptable for Dell to sell such an expensive and premium machine with a glaring firmware bug that turns your i7 performance into a Pentium level of performance.

38 Posts

November 16th, 2015 11:00

Lol.  You would think that would be an obvious decision.  Who says lets not look at a product where that problem is rampant.  Lets look at one of the only laptops without that issue and fix it using that.  Very counterproductive

8 Posts

November 17th, 2015 20:00

I have the same problem. I noticed it once I tried playing Heroes of the Storm and I was really disappointed when I saw I was getting 30FPS. I opened up the task manager and saw the CPU was only running at 1.69GHZ and never went above that. Plugging it in and unplugging it does nothing. After restart CPU was running at full frequency and I was getting 60FPS (which is nice!)

But seriously, this is a big problem for a computer this expensive to have. This is a pretty major defect that I really hope gets resolved.

i7

FHD

16GB Ram/512GB SSD

84WHr

Edit: I should note I'm running the latest bios (1.07) with the most recent windows 10 update (Version 10.0.10586)

38 Posts

November 18th, 2015 18:00

So today I decided to sadly forget about the xps15.  When you search "dell 9550 issues" in google the amount of problems are incredible.  Ssd failures, cpu problems, screen flickering, audio issues, gpu failures, mic/headphone jack problems, battery problems, thunderbolt connection problems, external monitor connection problems.  The list goes on and on.  I also had some of these issues along with a problem with my monitor not staying closed on one side when I carried it.  Had a small gap on the right side.  Could only imagine that if it has all these issues out of the box, imagine a week, month or year down the lne.    For the 4th replacement in a week of a 2099 dollar computer this is crazy.  I do not want to send my computer to dell every other week.  Tech support for dell is horrible.  Spent three days going back and forth with them and I felt like they had no clue what to due.  I decided to go with the surface book.  Not what I really wanted but I got a huge discount for all my troubles.  Dell you should be ashamed.  You sent models to reviewers that were probably tested dozens of times to make sure they worked perfectly.  Just so people would praise the product and get people to spend money on it.  Then when you actually sent out consumer computers you threw together a *** 0 quality controlled p.o.s.  if you own this computer and you have issues think about the long term.

November 18th, 2015 18:00

DELL >>> Any updates on a fix for this ?

i need to decide on keeping this laptop or returning it.. If there is no commitment from Dell on a fix for this, i would not like to be stuck with a laptop which works at half the speed once on battery power.

10 Posts

November 18th, 2015 20:00

In the same boat here... 14 days until return period expires.

November 19th, 2015 09:00

Same problem here. Top end model with 256 ssd.

Any updates from Dell?

November 20th, 2015 11:00

It's been a while since we have had an update.

Is there any news on this issue?

38 Posts

November 20th, 2015 16:00

Anyone see the conan skit about dell.  Pretty *** dunny.

29 Posts

November 20th, 2015 16:00

The dell engineers are trying to duplicate the issue on a 2005 MacBook pro because apparently they don't have access to or the money to buy a production dell xps laptop for testing.

2 Posts

November 21st, 2015 11:00

I have the exact same issue with the I7 XPS (9550).

4 Posts

November 21st, 2015 20:00

I have the same problem.

33 Posts

November 21st, 2015 21:00

Nice summary RemySphere.  My plan is to use this 9550 until there are enough other UHD i7 Skylake laptops to choose from.  I'll get a Lenovo or whatever and then RMA this 9550 and keep it at Dell until they either give me my money back or fix it.   I'm guessing I get my money back.

November 22nd, 2015 04:00

Today I wrote to the manager of the salesman who dealt with my order a long e-mail in which I ask for a full refund and returning the product.

I also filled a tech support form to list the problems I've got. I didn't know how to report it otherwise. If you have better ways to get those issues to their hear I'd be happy to do so.

That's enough Dell for me, the product, as good looking as it is, isn't ready yet. It's like a video game you know? You buy it day one, and the devs *hope* it'll run smooth enough for the customers not to notice, and patch everything within a year or 2. But I don't pay this price to be a beta tester sorry.

November 22nd, 2015 10:00

Dell - Any udpate?

November 23rd, 2015 09:00

Dell's tech services have answered me via Twitter : "Thank you for sharing all the details. We will reach out to our internal team and let you know what best can be done."

I got in touch at the same time with an employee on the French support forum.

I'll post my updates here (I don't expect their answers to be satisfactory since they won't be able to give me beta drivers/BIOS etc...)

Wait and see...

No Events found!