VolkotLosh
1 Copper

BIOS Problem

Jump to solution

Hi 
I have Dell Inspiron 17 3737, and I have a problem with the bios, booting of the OS and with the DVD optical drive. So this is the problem, when I start the laptop, 3 of 5 times it freezes and I need to power it down or to restart it with CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and than it will boot up and start the OS. And the problem with the DVD optical drive is that some times is recognized by the bios and sometimes is not. I looked for newer version of the bios but the latest one is A08 and i have it and the problems are still here.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

RE: BIOS Problem

Jump to solution

Hi VolkotLosh,

I’d advise that you load defaults in the BIOS. Please follow the steps mentioned below to load the BIOS to defaults.

1. Reboot the computer.
  2. When prompted during POST, press the <F2> key to enter the setup screen.
  3. On the System Setup screen, press the <F9> key.
  4. Press the <Enter> key on Yes to Load Optimized Defaults and restart the computer.

Also, I would suggest that you run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned in the video below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.

http://dell.to/164l6g4

Please let me know the findings.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
VolkotLosh
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi DELL-RAVI BC

Sorry for the delay of me responding back and thanks for the help. I have tried solution you gave me, the booting of the OS is fixed, but the problem with the dvd optical drive it's still the same.

0 Kudos
JeanSutherland
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I have a Dell Inspiron 7000 w/ no touchscreen. For the last month my computer has trouble shutting down, rebooting and normal booting.

The computer is  months old and under warranty.

I called Dell Support and talked with someone in India. I was told the problem is with Windows 8.1 and that I never purchased software support so they wanted me to purchase the support immediately for a cost of $258.00

I was never offered or told about this option and I don't want to pay that amount of money to fix the laptop. When I pushed them on this they then said ok but I'd have to pay money for them to take over my computer and fix the problem. I said NO.

Then I was told that I would have to call support when the problem was happening and then they could fix this. I assume pay money again, and I have no intention of giving out my credit card information to someone in India over the phone.

Is this normal? How can I get this problem fixed.

0 Kudos
JeanSutherland
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I have a Dell Inspiron 3737 w/ no touchscreen. The laptop is 8 months old and under warranty. For the last month my computer has trouble shutting down, rebooting and normal booting.

As well the DVD player no longer will work. On boot or after boot.

I called Dell Support and talked with someone in India. I was told the problem is with Windows 8.1 and that I never purchased software support so they wanted me to purchase the support immediately for a cost of $258.00

I was never offered or told about this option and I don't want to pay that amount of money to fix the laptop. When I pushed them on this they then said ok but I'd have to pay money for them to take over my computer and fix the problem. I said NO.

Then I was told that I would have to call support when the problem was happening and then they could fix this. I assume pay money again, and I have no intention of giving out my credit card information to someone in India over the phone.

Is this normal? How can I get these problems fixed.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi VolkotLosh,

I would like to know if the optical drive is detected in the BIOS and in the operating system?

0 Kudos
JeanSutherland
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

95% of the time NO

5% of the time YES...but it won't work ...can't burn anything or install anything from DVD.

I have also upgraded the BIOS to ver. 8.

Thank you for replying.

Jean

0 Kudos