Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 1st, 2016 13:00

BIOS UPDATE A10/ A13/ A16 XPS 15 9550 4K SCREEN TERRIBLE FLICKER

HI,

I have an XPS 15 9550 laptop with 4K screen. I installed the recently released BIOS update which is supposed to address the flickering screen issue. Previously I only ever experienced some minor intermittent flicker at brightness level 0 but after the update, flickering was occurring quite frequently - I checked this upto brightness level 50% and it occurs at all the way up.

It appears the update has made things much much worse Luckily I managed to roll back to A06 which must be the previous release as its the only one on the downloads page.

Anyone else find the update made things much worse?

Be good to know what Dell is doing to sort this out (again).

77 Posts

August 1st, 2016 16:00

It has happened to my XPS 15 9550 4K as well after the bios update. I cannot work because of this terrible screen flickering. How could you roll back to previous version? Did you call the customer support? Thanks.

you can download all the historic downloads here: 

http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/xps-15-9550-laptop.html

i thought i was on BIOS A09 before the update but perhaps not. The previous version to download is A06.

2 Posts

August 1st, 2016 16:00

It has happened to my XPS 15 9550 4K as well after the bios update. I cannot work because of this terrible screen flickering. How could you roll back to previous version? Did you call the customer support? Thanks.

2 Posts

August 2nd, 2016 04:00

I had the same issue, it was infuriating. After hours of playing with settings and trying to update other drivers I had to roll back the BIOS version too. Now I have the slightly lesser annoyance of the Dell update service telling me there is 1 new update available each time I boot up.

Is there any info from Dell about this?

77 Posts

August 2nd, 2016 07:00

I had the same issue, it was infuriating. After hours of playing with settings and trying to update other drivers I had to roll back the BIOS version too. Now I have the slightly lesser annoyance of the Dell update service telling me there is 1 new update available each time I boot up.

Is there any info from Dell about this?

yep its a very amateurish BIOS release, this is the least of some peoples troubles on the 9550 machines however, others are experiences total system problems thanks to Bitlocker/ TPM issues.

I posted a pretty direct response on Dell's Facebook page and Twitter feed but no response because they just dont care.

2 Posts

August 2nd, 2016 15:00

Thanks a lot. You are right. I have installed the A06 version and the flickering is now gone. Much relieved. I do not understand why don't they just install and check it before rolling out an update for something like bios, let alone the quality testing.

6 Posts

August 3rd, 2016 04:00

Just created an account to tell that with updated BIOS I got the same issue. :(

This xps 9550 4k release had (has?) many problems since its release, looks like I won't buy blindly any high-end Dell notebook anytime soon. :(

4 Posts

August 3rd, 2016 04:00

I have had this same issue and needed to revert also to the previous BIOS version... It's a shame.

1 Message

August 3rd, 2016 05:00

I installed this Bios update only to be faced with an unusable flickering screen, I also had to roll back to previous version and now need to live with a daily reminder I have an update available..............

12 Posts

August 3rd, 2016 12:00

Still have the screen flicker on mine, on every brightness level, its not quite as bad on full but then the fan stays on permanently. Nothing feels hot, set to passive. It seems its just one thing after another with these things. So disappointed with this model, I had to go and buy another laptop just so I can carry on working whilst this waste of money goes back for repair. Last Dell I will ever buy!! Such a shame as it had the potential to be so good, everything is there, it just doesn't work.

77 Posts

August 3rd, 2016 13:00

Still have the screen flicker on mine, on every brightness level, its not quite as bad on full but then the fan stays on permanently. Nothing feels hot, set to passive. It seems its just one thing after another with these things. So disappointed with this model, I had to go and buy another laptop just so I can carry on working whilst this waste of money goes back for repair. Last Dell I will ever buy!! Such a shame as it had the potential to be so good, everything is there, it just doesn't work.

yep even after rolling back mine is still flickering but thankfully not very frequently, nothing like the crazy A10 BIOS.

not that its bad just now but it just seems to be happening that bit more than before I bothered to update in the first place.

still no response from dell.

14 Posts

August 3rd, 2016 15:00

it seems to me that such a situation exists for a number of reasons
recent years Dell has released a lot of new products
new products and high-tech
perhaps tight time frame customized
as a result of the product turned out to be dampish
in a hasty attempt to correct the deficiencies, to bring to mind, began to emerge's  software errors confusion and mess
we as a end-users and is seeing it now
apparently we just have to be patient
If beauty requires sacrifice, it seems that high technology needs to be served patience :)

like everything else out there I like my xps 9550
from an aesthetic point of view, it is beautiful gorgeous
I think that it will be a long time to please me even just one appearance...

12 Posts

August 3rd, 2016 16:00

It is true, it's a fabulous looking machine that I really hope gets sorted. Unfortunately, until all the glitches are cured, if they ever are, it will remain an expensive, albeit good looking paperweight. Not exactly what I was hoping for, for this sort of money.

12 Posts

August 3rd, 2016 17:00

Screen flicker is definitely better on A06 than on A10, if it's set at 52% brightness it seems to be about half as regular as on any other setting, still annoying the *** out of me though!

August 4th, 2016 12:00

Same issue here, rare flickering at every brightness level every minute or so.

I am not sure what was my BIOS before, but there were no flicker whatsoever. 

I think it was A09 (something with 19, maybe), how can I check?

Is there a way to roll back to a more recent version than A06?

12 Posts

August 4th, 2016 13:00

A06 is the previous version to A10

No Events found!