Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 1st, 2016 13:00

BIOS UPDATE A10/ A13/ A16 XPS 15 9550 4K SCREEN TERRIBLE FLICKER

HI,

I have an XPS 15 9550 laptop with 4K screen. I installed the recently released BIOS update which is supposed to address the flickering screen issue. Previously I only ever experienced some minor intermittent flicker at brightness level 0 but after the update, flickering was occurring quite frequently - I checked this upto brightness level 50% and it occurs at all the way up.

It appears the update has made things much much worse Luckily I managed to roll back to A06 which must be the previous release as its the only one on the downloads page.

Anyone else find the update made things much worse?

Be good to know what Dell is doing to sort this out (again).

12 Posts

August 4th, 2016 13:00

BIOS A06 version 01.02.00 was the last one (release date 12th April 2016) This version is much better than the latest A10 BIOS which renders the screen virtually unuseable on mine

4 Posts

August 5th, 2016 02:00

Yes, there is a way. You can just install the previous version of the BIOS, downloadable from

downloads.dell.com/.../xps-15-9550-laptop.html

1 Message

August 9th, 2016 03:00

The same. I updated yesterday all latest drivers. 
Have 4k 512GB.

It spots almost on all brightness levels.

Don't know what they are doing there. When latest version is worse than a previous one.

How they want to compete to Macbook Pro.

18 Posts

August 9th, 2016 10:00

Could somebody from Dell chime in here? I also had to revert to 1.2.0 because of the flickering issue on 4k screens. 

And yes, we want this fixed as having this broken prevents further firmware or critical software updates dependent on it.

Thank you 

77 Posts

August 9th, 2016 11:00

Could somebody from Dell chime in here? I also had to revert to 1.2.0 because of the flickering issue on 4k screens. 

And yes, we want this fixed as having this broken prevents further firmware or critical software updates dependent on it.

Thank you 

I even sent a Dell rep on here a private message about this but no reply. Probably just ignored it.

August 10th, 2016 16:00

Hello. Just wanted to add a +1 to this. I had no screen flicker issues before A10 and now I'm getting loads and the fan is much noisier.

Well done Dell.

4 Posts

August 11th, 2016 19:00

+1. Also experiencing screen flicker after A10... what a joke. Non-stop little issues with this laptop, which is a big shame.

13 Posts

August 11th, 2016 23:00

If you have the NVidia video card, more than likely it is related to the NVidia drivers.

I had bought a used Dell with NVidia display in it. It had Windows 7, which I replaced with Windows 8.1. Upon install finishing, Noticed a flicker. The flicker was even present during boot. I was assuming it had to be the BIOS since the screen was already flickering upon initial power up. However, once I updated to latest drivers from nVidia, the flickering went away.

Now I have installed Debian on it, the flickering is back with the public domain drivers, though not was bad as it was when I first put Windows 8.1 on it.  

77 Posts

August 12th, 2016 05:00

If you have the NVidia video card, more than likely it is related to the NVidia drivers.

I had bought a used Dell with NVidia display in it. It had Windows 7, which I replaced with Windows 8.1. Upon install finishing, Noticed a flicker. The flicker was even present during boot. I was assuming it had to be the BIOS since the screen was already flickering upon initial power up. However, once I updated to latest drivers from nVidia, the flickering went away.

Now I have installed Debian on it, the flickering is back with the public domain drivers, though not was bad as it was when I first put Windows 8.1 on it.  

perhaps for your laptop model but not the case in our XPS's.

Dell even addressed the issue in the BIOS changelog but as we know it made the problem worse. I've had numerous nvidia GPU driver updates since owning the machine and it doesn't solve the issue....why? Because the intel GPU is used by default on 'normal' tasks such as desktop display and general OS display. perhaps an intel conflict with something controlling the display through the BIOS...

14 Posts

August 14th, 2016 02:00

Problem with intermittent display flickering unfortunately associated exclusively with updating the BIOS
When I was faced with this I also had a suspicion of incorrect work of the video driver from Nvidia but experience has shown that this is not the case
at least for the xps 9550 with 4k it so unfortunately

6 Posts

August 16th, 2016 00:00

I can confirm that rolling back BIOS resolved my screen flickering. Has not flickered once in 6+ hrs since rolling back vs once every minute. I hope a new BIOS is released soon as on the old BIOS I now have my USB devices connected to my WD15 Dell Dock dropping out intermittently... Nothing but issues!

13 Posts

August 16th, 2016 11:00

Same issue here on a 4K display XPS 15 (9550). Flashing back to UEFI version 1.2.0 works. UEFI version 1.2.10 has this bug. Please fix it for the next UEFI/BIOS version.

August 17th, 2016 17:00

I thought I was going nuts.  Ordered a new XPS 15 last month.  Loved it... except for the screen flicker (which my wife's XPS 15 didn't have).  Contacted tech support.  After running various tests they sent me a new laptop.  Got the new machine and no flicker.  Great!  A few days ago I had a notification to update the bios (as well as the intel and nvidia display drivers).  Shortly thereafter I started experiencing screen flicker.  Not as bad as my original XPS 15 but was driving me nut.  Wasn't sure what caused it.  I disabled the intel display driver, rebooted, and the screen still flickered.  I enabled the intel driver, disabled the nvidia driver, rebooted, and the screen still flickered.  On a hunch I googled xps 15 bios update screen flickering and found this thread.  The sad thing is Dell support doesn't seem to be aware of this issue.  Otherwise they would have suggested rolling back the bios instead of shipped me a new machine.

6 Posts

August 18th, 2016 10:00

This thread  should really get Dell's attention, it would be nice to get a fixed bios that works. I was about to buy Dell tb15 dock station, however now I know it would be waaaaaay too risky. Sad to see that Dell doesn't put enough attention to their releases.

18 Posts

August 18th, 2016 12:00

+1 from. Also 4k model and also flicker on 1.2.1 A10

And 1.2.0 A06 works just fine

No Events found!