Highlighted
shivamadhavan
1 Copper

RE: BIOS UPDATE A10/ A13/ A16 XPS 15 9550 4K SCREEN TERRIBLE FLICKER

Sad day when I have to be glad that a year old driver (Dec  2015, v4331 for Intel P530) fixes issue with a brand new ~$3k high end laptop (XPS15 9550). All the security patches and other fixes in subsequent releases cannot be used because of this issue ?

Working

BIOS: 1.2.16

Intel HD Graphics 530 : v4331 (Tried later versions of this driver till latest 4483, All flickers)

Within a week of staring to use this laptop, it has been only a pain. Hardly allowing anyone to enjoy some of appealing aspects of this laptop.

I know there are plenty of threads out there where folks have been complaining. What an absolute disappointment of a laptop. One issue after another. Looking for a fix for this issue with newer drivers (since later drivers seem to suggest security fixes as well). Alongside, I have a noticed another issue about mouse pointer skipping/lagging. After 10 years of using Latitudes satisfactorily, this is first time dell has been so thoroughly a let down.

Laughable really, they better fix this soon or have a response that explains why someone would spend so much on a high end laptop and be stuck trying get the laptop working. Functionally Flawed.

0 Kudos
usurpedunicorn
1 Copper

has anyone gotten a contact email or information for actual customer service for this issue? for my sanity i have just rolled back to the A06 driver....but I think we need to pool the 30+ of us dealing with this and get some kind of compensation at least a price match because the PC is $500 cheaper than what I bought it for....and its still essentially defected.

0 Kudos
simba2585
2 Bronze

I have a dedicated email contact at Dell, he is a Technical Support Manager. I have been regularly liaising with him about this issue and the various threads covering this topic.

I think perhaps its a good idea to create dedicated thread for people to confirm they have the issue - i.e. no discussion, just yes/ no to gather the pool. Downside is some people who have corresponded to this issue might not get visibility of the thread.

Probably best to just share the subject threads covering the issue and Dell can sift through it themselves. The number of views and replies to the threads should be indicator of how serious the problem is.

0 Kudos
FloridaJimL
1 Nickel

This latest go round of mine was initiated by filing with the BBB.  Pretty easy to do online but not any significant difference in results.

0 Kudos
chrisbrearley
1 Copper

The new bios update has made my flickering worse than the one I had installed which was a few versions old. I've persevered with this for nearly a year now but have had enough. Contacted support this morning for a third time, this time asking for a refund. Time to look for a new laptop.

0 Kudos
Jan311
1 Copper

I got my XPS 15 9550 with high end specs in August and I have been having the same problem every time I upgrade to the new BIOS which as stated by Dell is an urgent update. The screen brightness starts to flicker every now and then. It is definitely the most annoying thing ever. Every time they release a new update I try to upgrade and see if they have fixed the issue or not but unfortunately, every time I am disappointed and eventually I just roll back to the original BIOS version 1.1.15 which fixes the flickering issue. The sad part is some of the other updates require you to have the latest BIOS in order to upgrade them. Does anyone know when Dell will be actually fixing this glitch?

0 Kudos
simba2585
2 Bronze

I'm using BIOS A16 and intel driver 4331, its almost sorted the flickering very well but at the sacrifice of and outdated intel driver version.

I have dialogue with a Dell Tech Support Manager. Iv been told in two weeks there should be another update.

0 Kudos
09madz
1 Copper

is it possible to ask for a full refund? I just bought my xps15(i7 4k) last September for 2700sgd. please keep us updated if they allow you to refund. thanks

0 Kudos
Tom Davenport
1 Nickel

I just tried reverting back to the Intel HD Graphics driver version 20.19.15.4331 to fix the flickering.  While it seemed to fix the flickering issue the dell premier color profiles were all rendering with eye bleed saturation.  Ever since the Windows 10 anniversary update, the Dell Premier Color interface has stopped working and the only way to switch color profiles has been via back door method (right click on desktop to change the color profile). Seems like if you want to use dell premier color profiles (via right click on desktop) you are stuck with BIOS 1.2.0 A06 to fix screen flickering issues.

0 Kudos
samos1111
3 Silver

I assume the DPC color profiles can be copied from the DPC folder to the Windows CM folder and switched there manually if needed.

I don't like DPC adjusting brightness.

0 Kudos