Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 1st, 2016 13:00

BIOS UPDATE A10/ A13/ A16 XPS 15 9550 4K SCREEN TERRIBLE FLICKER

HI,

I have an XPS 15 9550 laptop with 4K screen. I installed the recently released BIOS update which is supposed to address the flickering screen issue. Previously I only ever experienced some minor intermittent flicker at brightness level 0 but after the update, flickering was occurring quite frequently - I checked this upto brightness level 50% and it occurs at all the way up.

It appears the update has made things much much worse Luckily I managed to roll back to A06 which must be the previous release as its the only one on the downloads page.

Anyone else find the update made things much worse?

Be good to know what Dell is doing to sort this out (again).

2 Posts

April 11th, 2017 11:00

Have had my 9550 less than a month before experiencing this screen flicker. Its annoying something like this can slip through the cracks. Will stay posted for updates.

April 12th, 2017 15:00

Hey guys,

I suffer from the same issues since the intel driver update (automatic), and the roll-back has worked for me for several days.

But after a nvidea driver update, I haven't been able to stabilize the situation anymore. Tried various versions/constellations of nvidea drivers for the 960m and the old (20...) and new (21...) Intel driver, tried various BIOS drivers (18, 19, 20)...

The best I got at the moment is no screen flickering with the old intel driver (20) and the latest Nvidea driver, but Mass Effect Andromeda (i.e. using the 960m) crashes the Nvidea driver within about 5 min of playing.

Don't know where to go from here.

Uninstalling PremiumColor doesn't seem to impact the issue for me.

What I did notice is that the screen flicker disappears with Intel 21 if you end Nvidea manually after startup, but that's about it.

Can anyone advise?

6 Posts

April 26th, 2017 10:00

My laptop works perfectly fine using this setup:

- bios  v1.2.21

- Intel HD 530: 4627 on intel website

- GTX 960M using latest Nvidia driver

uninstall all dell software including the color profile app.

1 Message

April 26th, 2017 11:00

How long have you had the laptop? Mine started right out of the box.

6 Posts

April 26th, 2017 20:00

Just a few days. I got it as refurbished. The first thing I do is go to Dell support and download the bios update.

After the bios update, use the latest driver from intel for HD 530 ( build 4627 ) Dell driver 4590 will crash your system. Then make sure you disable panel self refresh in Intel display driver.

Make sure you install latest driver from nvidia too.

6 Posts

May 3rd, 2017 06:00

has anyone tested out the new drivers 4627_A09?

13 Posts

November 28th, 2017 23:00

Been getting Dell bios update reminder.  I so dis-trust the Dell updates ever since the screen flicker issue that dare not update without checking with the top-guns here.  Anyone tried the Dell XPS 15 9550 1.5.1 System Bios?

I see even in this year there is still talk of screen flickering?  I am currently using

Version 1.2.19

Date 22/12/2016

December 19th, 2017 01:00

I had the flickering issue with my Inspiron 7579 when it was brand new 12 months ago and solved it after trying a zillion things but don't remember what the solution was now. Unfortunately I am back to square one after a remote access by Dell who did some updates which bought the flicker back and then got me to write a USB restore key before coming and changing the hard drive the flicker is back in laptop and constant blinking in external Dell monitor.  ( At one point before they came to install the hard drive I did a system restore to the day before they accessed it and the flicker was instantly gone, I wish I had done the USB system restore again then)

The Flickering on my laptop right hand side isn't as bad as the constant blinking on and off of the externaI monitor which is only new for my photography work. I cannot find a solution. Everything is uptodate, every driver is uptodate, and I have tried everything I have come across on Google to no avail. I have changed the HDMI to HDMI cable to a different one.

Anyone got any suggestions?

No Events found!