Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 6th, 2015 16:00

BIOS update causes major problem

On August 27, 2015, I got a notice from Dell Update that there was a new version of the BIOS for my computer (a Dell Inspiron 15 laptop). My computer was out of warranty at that time, so I appreciated the notice, thinking Dell was good to update the BIOS. However, the update has proven to be a disaster.

Whenever the computer is idle for more than a half hour, it goes to blue screen and says it has encountered a problem and needs to restart. The error is called "kernel data inpage (sic) error." I first tried Dell Support, but they absolutely refused to do anything to fix it, because it is out of warranty. They told me to go back to a point before the update. No matter how much I argued that they had caused the problem, they still refused to fix it and would not help me regress the computer to an earlier time (I don't know how to do it)

I I have found out since that the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver is missing and, according to Microsoft, is causing the problem I am having. I need Dell's help to replace that (so I choose the right version). But, now, Dell Detect won't run on my computer, and I can't find anything on the web site to tell me which one is right. Also, I am shut out of Dell chat and there is a multihour waited for phone support.

Before this happened I was ready to be a Dell customer for life. Now I feel like I'm being told to go away.

Has anyone else had an issue with this BIOS update?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 7th, 2015 13:00

You may have malware on your PC.

10 Posts

December 7th, 2015 08:00

In the ongoing weirdness since the BIOS upgrade, something else happened after I posted this to the community: The computer rebooted on its own (nothing new) and two new user accounts appeared spontaneously. It took me a while to figure out how to sign in with my own administrator account, because one of the new phantom accounts had the same name. The new accounts had such a different look that for a while I thought I had been upgraded to Windows 10 without my permission (it happens). Eventually I figured out how to delete the two phantom accounts (Control Panel/User Accounts).

Now, I'm wondering what will happen next, and I still need to find out which new Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver I need to install. Maybe I'll sit on hold forever to find out.

10 Posts

December 7th, 2015 22:00

Thanks for your reply. Yes, that possibility certainly occurred to me, but other issues (deadlines and problems with my backup service) kept me from pursuing it.

However, I finally found the correct version of the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver on the Dell web site and (re)installed it. It's been about 12 hours and no crashes, but I'll wait 48 hours to be sure.

Interestingly, the version of the driver that Dell now offers for my Inspiron 15 is dated Sept. 25, 2015, about a month after my issue began. I suspect that it took Dell a while to realize that the August 28 update indeed had caused major issues for some people, necessitating a new version of the driver. Certainly, the support staff I had talked to treated the issue as if it were my personal problem, not an issue with their software.

It is even more interesting that Dell never identified the issue. Instead, I got a notification from the Windows Action Center (in Control Panel). But why it took Microsoft almost three months to send that notice is puzzling.

At any rate, I'll know in a couple of days if it's been fixed.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 8th, 2015 08:00

That's very good news.

10 Posts

December 13th, 2015 09:00

After a week, it's great to have my computer back. Even Microsoft Solitaire Collection is working again. You don't know how important it is until you lose it. :-)

However, the whole incident has made me recall how dismissive Dell Support was when I asked for their help. Their reaction made what should have been a simple software replacement into a major incident and weeks of problems for me.

I think part of the issue -- and I know I have to be careful saying this -- was dealing with Indian men. I know women don't have the status in India that they have here, but their arrogance in speaking to me and refusal to accept what I was saying would not have been acceptable here. On the other hand, they also probably are geeks, another group that has trouble dealing with women as human beings.

Whatever the reason, they completely dismissed me and my complaint as unimportant and not worth their attention. And, worst, they missed an opportunity to find out something they later would have to fix, as evidenced by the addition of a new version of the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver to the Dell web site about 10 days after my contact with them, And, despite the addition of the replacement, no one contacted me to tell me ab out the solution.

So, the entire episode was very poor performance by Dell Support and an issue I hope that they will address: Sometimes you need to listen to customers even if their computers are out of warranty, especially if you caused the problem with an "upgrade." And, how about some sensitivity training for your support people in India?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 13th, 2015 14:00

If you want North American-based support you will need to buy an Optiplex, Latitude, Precision.

Fortunately, I haven't had to deal with Indian-based support for anything. I avoid it like the plague.  :-)

7 Posts

December 14th, 2015 02:00

I've just had a week trying to deal with the Indian call centre over a driver issue.

They never contacted me when they said they would and told feeble untruths when I caught them out.

I am disgusted by the atrocious (lack of) quality I've experienced from them and, because it is a new machine have now written to Dell HQ  demanding they take the laptop back and refund my money.

After 15 years as a satisfied Dell customer, I wouldn't touch one again as a result of the execrable after-sales service. 

4 Posts

August 3rd, 2016 12:00

Today Aug 3, 2016 Dell pushed me a BIOS update and now I cannot log on to my laptop.  I am still in warranty but the "support" people want me to agree to accept charges for fixing this problem.  Found out they are an independent contractor not Dell.  How do I get Dell to step up to their problem?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 3rd, 2016 13:00

There are no "independent" contractors working for Dell -- you need to call Dell support directly.   

Or is this one of the common malware issues where you install software that then holds your system hostage?  If that's the case, Dell likely cannot help.

In the US, call Dell directly at:

1 (800) 624-9897

No Events found!