Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 18th, 2017 05:00

BSOD DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION that get stuck at 0% - Windows 10

I'd like to start off by saying that I've had this error since I bought this laptop. Should I have returned it as soon as I realized it crashed randomly? Yes. Did I? No, because I moved out to France just after buying the laptop.

Any who, it's almost one year old, and I decided I might try to solve this by myself since no windows update solved it.

I receive a DPC Watchdog Violation BSOD randomly. I have gotten these BSODs over the past year, and I've gotten pretty used to them. They appear without any pattern. Sometimes when I'm browsing the internet, sometimes when playing games or programming, sometimes when I'm doing nothing at all and most of them when I Skype for an hour or two. I'm pretty certain it crashes during sleep too, as I know I put the computer to sleep during the night time, but when I turn it on in the morning, it boots up from a shut down state.

I updated all my drivers (the most common reason for this BSOD) but the crashes continued. I keep my drivers up to date anyways out of habit. The biggest problem with this BSOD for me is that no dump file is created or so it says my Dell SupportAssist software. When the BSOD appears, it tells me to wait for some info to be collected, but the percentage hangs at 0% forever.

One of the suggested solutions I found online was simply to reinstall Windows 10 - unfortunately, my computer came with it pre-installed, and I didn't have a CD to reinstall it. I didn't want to lose all my files so I never did this.

With that out of the way, I was basically left with the conclusion that the problem must be in the hardware and more precisely the SSD since the BSOD gets stuck at 0% and maybe it cannot access it when creating the dumpfile. But with the same SupportAssist software I runned a hardware testing but everything checks out fine, even the SSD.

My laptop (Dell XPS15 9550) has:

-16GB of RAM.

-512GB of PCIe SSD

-intel core i7

-NVIDIA GeFoce GTX 960 - 4GB

So recap:

• DPC Watchdog Violation almost once a day
  • No dump file
  • No problem with Hardware (says Dell's SupportAssist software)
  • All drivers updated

Honestly, I'm considering just getting a new laptop, but it would really be a shame, because aside from the crashes, this laptop works perfectly fine and as many know, the XPS series are decent laptops. If anyone can help out, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks so much,

Fabian.

4 Posts

March 12th, 2017 16:00

Hello Fabian,

Dell XPS is an awesome machine. It is very unfortunate that you are facing these errors. Mostly this DPC_Watchdog error is due to some software issues like outdated drivers and not due to hardware. I recommend updating your SSD firwares as it is the root cause. You can follow this tutorial to fix DPC watchdog violation error.

Let me know if it still persists after updating the SSD firmwares.

2 Posts

March 13th, 2017 12:00

Hi Jacon,

Thank you for your response.

I've checked out the SSD drivers as the web site said to do. But the drivers are already up to date so method #1 doesn't really help.

But for the record, since I posted my problem in this forum, the number of BSOD have diminished. I haven't got a BSOD for at least two weeks without doing anything actually so hopefully, whatever the problem was, it doesn't come back.

Anyway, if a BSOD happens I'll post it in here again and I'll try to do method #2 because I normally connect many things into my laptop: mouse, external hard drive, cooling pad and occasionally my PS3 control when playing games. So maybe one of them is the root of my BSOD...

4 Posts

March 13th, 2017 19:00

Hello Fabian,

Yes, mostly because of some issues with external usb mouse or keyboard, system fail to recognize the problem and show us BSOD. Anyways, glad that your problem is gone now.

No Events found!