billywomble
1 Copper

BSOD dxgkrnl.sys -- switchable graphics problem?

New Laptop (Inspiron 15R SE)

Intel Core i7-3612

Memory: 8192MB

Graphics: 2GB AMF+D Radeon HD 7730M

Problem: Running a game (e.g. Minecraft) and then mimimising the window to open Google Chrome and play a YouTube video leads to BSOD

Ran: BlueScreenView

Bugcheck code: 0x0000016

Caused by driver: dxgkrnl.sys

Caused by address: dxgkrnl.sys + 5d000

Drivers found in crash stack:

atikmpag.sys

dxgkrnl.sys

dxgmms1.sys

I would be grateful as to how I can diagnose the problem? Do I need to concentrate on the switchable graphics, drivers, BIOS or something else?

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: BSOD dxgkrnl.sys -- switchable graphics problem?

Hi billywomble,

Based on the given details, as suspected by you the blue screen is due to graphics card drivers. We can try to uninstall and reinstall the drivers. Follow the below mentioned steps to troubleshoot this issue:

1. Click “Start”, type “Programs and Features” and press enter.
  2. In “Programs and Features”, select “ATI Catalyst Install Manager”, click “Change”.
  3. Click “Next” in first window.
  4. Check “Express Uninstall ALL ATI Software” and click “Next”.
  5. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the uninstallation and restart the computer.
  6. Use the link provided below to download the graphics card drivers: http://dell.to/QcsXFd
  7. Run the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
  8. Restart the computer.

Try to play the game to reproduce the blue screen. Please post the results.

Thanks & Regards
Kalyan S
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US; India. For Dell support videos click Here.

0 Kudos