DjTrex
1 Nickel

BSOD errors now can't find OS -BEEPING- - Dell Inspiron 17R SE 7720

Win 7 upgraded to Win 10 via free upgrade
I7-3610QM
8GB ram
1TB SSD

The BSOD errors started a couple months back or maybe longer. Every several weeks i would get a crash and since it was about 1/month i didn't worry too much but did move files to the cloud. The last week has really ramped up and the crashes were almost every day. I took some screen shots. I'll put them in order. After several of these BSOD restarts the computer would go straight into downloading updates. One of the pics shows when the update froze. Because of this, i thought maybe it was a recent update that was the issue. There were a few screen glitches and strange linear sections of pixels that flashed across the screen right before 2 of the crashes (see error#2). I went online and tried to search for a fix for the IRQL... error. I can across a link to a suggestion to run a command code driver verification command. I was never able to get it to work and ran the reset command. Not too long after, one of my next BSOD errors was about the DRIVER VERIFIER DETECTED VIOLATION. See error #4.

I tried to do the Windows diagnose problem option and it found nothing. Windows troubleshoot offers to restore to previous point 3/29/17. I tried that and it would not work. I also tried the Windows startup repair and it did not work. Next the computer locked up and as i tried to do a HARD shutdown it wouldn't turn off and then started BEEPING at me and sounded like it was coming from somewhere (underneath) other than the speakers. The screen went black but the SSD was still running. The edges of the screen showed that it was still active. It finally shut down. I waited several hours and turned on the laptop.

I talked to a computer friend and he suggested a clean install of Win10. I finally contacted Microsoft and DL a copy to USB. After a clean install all seemed ok but there were a few issues with drivers. See pic. I DL'd teamviewer and installed. Before i could get my account open I got my first BSOD error since the clean install. See pic.  I tried downloading the drivers from Dell but the speed was super slow so I downloaded them on my desktop to a USB and started running them. (video drivers) The network driver did not work. It told me it needed to restart to make the drivers active. I went to the power button to restart and it said update and restart so i selected that option. It restarted 3-4 times and each time the power button still said update and restart. Finally it seemed to be up to date. Shortly after I got a black screen and it said something like unable to locate OS.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
9 Rhodium

RE: BSOD errors now can't find OS -BEEPING- - Dell Inspiron 17R SE 7720

Nowhere have you mentioned running a hardware diagnostic  -- that should be done, including an extended test on the hard drive.  F12 at powerup to get to the Dell diagnostics.

0 Kudos
DjTrex
1 Nickel

Never done that before, i'll give it a try.

0 Kudos
DjTrex
1 Nickel

Test results

Since i've never run this before im not sure how to read exactly other than the memory fail.

The 2 hard drives only show running and didn't get a green check mark.

There was a memory fail but i'm not sure how to tell which one it is.

4 pics

0 Kudos
DjTrex
1 Nickel

When i got the error code for the memory i selected YES to continue testing. The computer then locked up. I then did a hard shutdown and I again started to get a series of BEEPS. 4 in a row then a pause then 4 in a row again. Eventually it restarted.

0 Kudos
DjTrex
1 Nickel

Update:

So i texted each dimm individually by leaving one in at a time and running the diagnostic. Each dimm tested ok but when i had both dimms in together they through an error. I tested them in both configurations. Dimm A in slot one and Dimm B in slot 2 and vise-versa. Each time BOTH were installed it gave errors yet individually they were fine.

0 Kudos