Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 28th, 2014 13:00

BSOD on XPS 1647 w/ Radeon HD4670 atikmpag.sys

Hello everyone.
I have spend solid 2 weeks working on a friend's Dell Studio XPS 1647 with Radeon HD4670 graphics. He started having issues with getting BSOD with error atikmpag.sys when attempting to open/launch Skype (after latest update greater then ver 6.14). I have installed and re-installed a dozen various ATI drivers and software (CCC) combinations to no avail.  I also noticed that the system also crashes with same error message when doing Windows Experience Index rating at Tuning Windows media decoding stage. Attempt to open the DXVA checker to disable DXVA (per advise here) also causes the BSOD. I even went as far as re-installing fresh Windows 7 with Dell recommended graphics drivers/software combination and got the same BSOD from new install. 

Is this a hardware problem with the graphics card, or software? If I disable the graphics driver (and run the skype in VGA mode), I am able to launch skype and turning back the graphics doesn't seem to cause any errors (skype works as it should). I don't do any gaming so not sure what else might fail or how to test further. I have posted this problem on skype support forums and so far not getting anywhere. I can attach my crash dump file so you expert analysis (if necessary). Thanks for any input/guidance anyone can provide. I am a newbie here, but pretty knowledgeable to working with computers. Thanks again.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 28th, 2014 14:00

Sounds very much like a bad video chip - this system doesn't have a separate card, so the repair requires a replacement of the system board.

14 Posts

December 28th, 2014 14:00

I was able to fix the Windows Experience Index BSOD error by disable graphics and running DXVA checker (linked in the top post) and disabling the DXVA Acceleration for Microsoft H264 Video Decoder MFT and few others things that were in red (as recommended in that post).  But despite the fact that I got through the WEI, it still crashes on skype launch.  So issue remains.  

Would the system work great otherwise (like playing videos and other media content) with bad chip?  Just find it hard to believe that's the case.  Will keep tinkering with it I guess, but if there are other diagnostic software/test I can run, I would gladly do it to eliminate as many possibilities as possible.  

P.S.  Just run the Dell Diagnostics online software (powered by PC Doctor) to test the graphics (video card) and every component passed the test (Shader Rendering DX10 Test, Wireframe Shader Rendering Test, Shader Rendering Test, GPU Pipeline Data Test, Fixed Transformation and Lighting Test, Wireframe Line Test, Primary Surface Test, Video Memory Test, PCI Express Status Test).  So really dont think it's the hardware... 

Thanks again.

14 Posts

December 28th, 2014 15:00

Wow, thanks for this info.  Sounds kind of overwhelming at first, but makes sense.  So, should I uninstall the current driver along with AMD CCC software, then reboot and install this legacy driver with software package and then install DirectX June 2010 and do all the enabling?  Or does the order  matter at all?  Also, do I need to download the HydroVision package from AMD site along with the driver package or it's optional?  Thanks for your input, hoping this will solve this annoying problem.

Btw, I don't have all the Features that you have in your screenshot.  Do I need to install additional packages to add Legacy Components/Direct Plat section (only avail in Windows 8?, I am running Windows 7) as well as .NET Framework 3.5 (I only have 3.51).  Thanks in advance.  Kind of excited to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 28th, 2014 15:00

Radeon HD 2000 3000 4000 series cannot use current drivers.

There is no link directly to the driver because AMD doesnt allow that.

You also will not be able to use the auto method.

Furthermore you will have to RE ENABLE Legacy Direct Play and install Direct X June 2010. As well as enable DOTNET 2.0 3.5

Download to a folder and Run DXSETUP.EXE as administrator.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

AMD Catalyst™ Display Driver

AMD Catalyst™ Driver for AMD Radeon™ HD 4000, HD 3000 and HD 2000 Series

AMD has moved to the AMD Radeon™ HD 4000, AMD Radeon HD 3000, and AMD Radeon HD 2000 Series new driver support model. These updates will focus on resolving application specific issues and critical updates. The reason for the shift in support policy is largely due to the fact that the AMD Radeon HD 4000, AMD Radeon HD 3000, and AMD Radeon HD 2000 Series have been optimized to their maximum potential from a performance and feature perspective.

Applicable Products:

This article applies to the following configuration(s):

Hardware:

AMD Radeon HD 4000 Series
AMD Radeon HD 3000 Series
AMD Radeon HD 2000 Series
AMD Radeon HD Series AGP
AMD Mobility Radeon HD 4000 Series
AMD Mobility Radeon HD 3000 Series
AMD Mobility Radeon HD 2000 Series

Name File Size Revision Number Release Date Download Link
Catalyst Software .

13-1-legacy_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc.exe

14 Posts

December 28th, 2014 16:00

This is very frustrating.  I am getting bunch of errors "Application Install: install package failure!" and only able to install the graphics driver and HDMI driver from that package.  All other ATI software fails.  Installed the DirectX 10 and still crushing skype.  Not sure where I went wrong.  Any advice?  

No Events found!