Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 9th, 2012 04:00

BSoD and BIOS load fail on XPS 15 L502x

Hi all,

I just had my motherboard replaced in L502x due to GPU failure.  At first, everything worked fine with lower overall temperature.  But when I decided to reboot, I got BSoD right after the Windows 7 splash screen and laptop would reboot itself.  It would give me BSoD twice in the same manner then BIOS fails to load.  After trying to manually reboot the system with no luck. BIOS wouldn't load and my fan would turn on with its max RPM (I'm guessing). I had to allow sometime just to attempt at loading BIOS again. With luck, I can get into OS.

Could I have recieved a faulty motherboard?

Thanks in advance,

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 10th, 2012 22:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community

Possible you got a faulty board. But I suggest to run Diagnostics first so we can determine which causes the issue. Restart the computer, on Dell Logo, keep tapping F12. Then choose diagnostics, run test, and post back for any error codes.

You can also try reseating devices, like hard drive,memory and optical drive. Here is the link for the manual ;

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xpsL502X/en/sm/index.htm 

After reseating see if it boots up, and observe if it will give you a BSOD. If possible, try getting the BSOD error code. So we can further investigate the issue.

Regards,

29 Posts

June 11th, 2012 03:00

Thanks for the reply, Elijah.

As of now, my system fails to boot completely. When the system is turned on, all I notice is fan revving up to its max RPM (just my guess) and nothing else. Not even the BIOS loads. Hence, no diagnostic tools or whatsoever.

I actually contacted hardware support last night via a call and tried to do some tests.  It seemed that when I press D + power button, screen would display correctly in different colors. And that was the only test we could run.  The technician told me that the problem seems to be caused by a combination of motherboard, AC adapter, and corrupted OS, which I highly doubt.  She told me she would contact me back today around afternoon (which she did not) to discuss further about the solution to this problem since the ordering system was down last night. We actually talked about possibility of system replacement since I have replaced (was broken upon arrival) L502x once then replaced motherboard three times (on the current system I have) already. 

No Events found!