Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 5th, 2016 13:00

BUG REPORT: disable "Switchable graphics" make Dell Precision 7510 unusable

I have big trouble with my two units of Dell Precision 7510. I want to disable "Switchable graphics", because some OS do not support two graphics simultaneously. So, I have unchecked "Switchable graphics" in the BIOS settings, restarted and... display is gone.

Notebook is working (system is booting in the background), display is back lighted, but nothing appears on the display. I have checked BIOS 1.10 and 1.20 on two units with identical configuration. I have been checking many times with different BIOS configurations. Always disabling "Switchable gprahics" makes system unusable.

In fact, I have successfully booted up one or two times with "Switchable graphics" BIOS option disabled. In that case the Intel P530 graphic card was disabled totally and AMD FirePro was running perfectly all uptime. Unfortunately, it was one or two times. 99,9% attempts were unsuccessful. When I disable "Switchable graphics" and restart, I get without-signal display. The only solution is reset BIOS setting to default by removing and putting back the coin battery.

Could anybody confirm that issue? My hardware configuration is Intel i5-6300HQ, AMD FirePro W5170M, 1x16 GB DDR non-ECC and UltraSharp IGZO-Display Ultra HD.

8 Posts

December 3rd, 2017 11:00

remak,

Thank you. This is what I needed.

Your display is Sharp LQ156D1 43N80, made week 36 of 2015. I have the same panel differing only in date, serial number and color settings. So this is not a panel problem.

I believe that when the screen is black (but the backlight works), the firmware selects the wrong screen resolution.

I would like the engineers of DELL to investigate this. I am ready to make any tests or even disassemble the laptop if necessary. Although I'm already thinking of selling a laptop.

9 Posts

December 3rd, 2017 12:00

Interesting. Whatever the panel (and cable from panel to MB) swap triggered it really did make the panel do something else than to just light up the backlight. From the first boot with the swapped panel the bootup screen was visible, unlike with the previous one.

I am unsure about the resolution change, beause why would it happen randomly during the use of Windows?

I have yet to check the event log for the panel going black, but with the image getting stuck for some seconds it seems before that there is some events spaced quite evenly, but suddenly before the stuck there is a bunch of everything, but some GPU memory allocation seems to be there every time.

8 Posts

December 3rd, 2017 14:00

The issue occurs:

1. When you turn on the laptop

2. When you wake it from sleep by opening the lid

In both cases, the equipment is initialized.

I think that if the problem was in the panel/cable - then the display would not work always during test runs by d+POWER.

8 Posts

December 3rd, 2017 14:00

BIOS 1.13.6:

- Fixed some system will hang up when Switchable Graphics Mode disabled .

After that update the system does not hang on the black screen. The operating system loads with a black screen (backlight is on). I turn on the hdmi and turn off the hdmi and the screen starts to show.

9 Posts

December 3rd, 2017 15:00

Wish it was only during boot or sleep for me. The screen lockup that lasts for 1-10 seconds happens several tens of times per day for me and the display going black suddenly and not recovering with Win+Ctrl+Shift+B a few times per day. With the old AMD drivers the reset key combination woke the screen - I will revert to back the drivers tomorrow.

With the current drivers the only way to recover from the black screen during Windows use is to sleep -> wake -> sleep -> wake, until the screen starts working. Or a reboot, but I rather don't do that as I lose my work.

With the previous BIOS version I had an image during bootup every single time (and with every BIOS version from the date the panel was changed), the post boot DELL logo, Windows loading screen (the first part of it), but with the latest version I no longer get the DELL logo nor Windows loading animation. The display starts working if I press F12 to get to boot time menu and/or when Windows has loaded the drivers. Black but backlighted before that.

Of course we have different GPU's, but the underlying issue is surely the same.

No Events found!