irmaloney
1 Copper

Re: Backlight Keyboard no longer works. Studio XPS 1645

I have the answer...

Click on your battery icon

Click on  Windows Mobility Center

Adjust the Keyboard Brightness to a higher level

and your keyboard will be backlit again...

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Z-Factor
1 Copper

Hi,

Have anyone solve this problem? I tried the FN right arrow, dell quickset , windows mobility center.. And even did a restore.. None of this worked to get back the light of the keyboard, it's a dell xps studio 16.. If anyone have any new idea please enlighten me

0 Kudos
goatbadger
1 Copper

Also have exactly the same problem, mousepad lights up and dims/brightens with fn+right arrow, but actual keys don't light up at all. It definitely used to work, could this be a hardware problem with Studio XPS 164's?

0 Kudos
jpat79
1 Copper

Read irmaloney posted.  Thanks irmaloney.

0 Kudos
dg27
3 Cadmium

When you say battery key, do you mean F3?

I'm going out of my mind with this issue. I teach classes in a dark room and absolutely need the keyboard backlight: That was a major reason I bought this machine.

I tried all of the proposed solutions and find that mine will come on for a few seconds and then go off. Could this be short?

The machine is exactly two years old and it worked fine until today. It never failed.

Another weird thing I noticed is that previously, when I hit the up and down arrows all that used to control was the keyboard brightness. Now it moves the cursor up and down, even when I'm in a browser.

Could some setting have changed that is causing this?

dg

0 Kudos
Araforn
1 Copper

Has anyone resolved this issue. My keyboard back light stopped working in the last hour. Ive been trying everything here but no joy.  If i knew the location of the connection for the backlight i would open up the back and see if I can identify the problem. 

0 Kudos
dg27
3 Cadmium

I have the same problem: for a while it was cutting in and out intermittently, but it's been completely off for a month or more. The Mobility Center settings have no effect. If I should revert back to an old BIOS I'd like to know that...

0 Kudos
Araforn
1 Copper

I'm trying a system restore at the moment to see if its software related but I doubt it very much. It must be a hardware problem. Maybe a lose connection??. Where could we get details of the location on its wiring connection?

0 Kudos
goatbadger
1 Copper

Re-seating the ribbon cable from the keyboard to the motherboard worked for me.  You need to remove the palmrest to do this.  Instructions are here: <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Araforn
1 Copper

Thanks very much for your reply. Does the back light have a separate ribbon connection or is it combined with the connector for the keyboard itself??. Did you notice it had dislodged before reseating it?

0 Kudos