Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 18th, 2017 05:00

Battery 1% available (plugged in, not charging)

I cant use my laptop unless plugged in... There is no battery left at all and it wont charge...

I have tried to update BIOS but I couldnt because I got a message that the battery needs to be at least 10% charged.

I have confirmed that the charger gives the required volatge, so the charger is fine..

I have no idea if there is something wrong with the battery cz it passed the online dell test..and I dont want to buy a new battery for no reason. 

So I have no idea whats wrong to fix it... 

any ideas?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 18th, 2017 08:00

:emotion-2:

Please list Dell model number and version of windows. Ex: Dell Inspiron 3543, windows 10

In the meantime, please check status of AC adapter in the BIOS. If adapter isn't detected in BIOS, the system will continue to received power but will not charge the battery. Please follow steps below:

1. Power off system.

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping F2 key continuously. You should be in the BIOS. The status of adapter usually listed under the main screen.

The adapter should say the adapter type, if it says 'Unknown' or 'None', then it's a issue with the adapter, and most likely needs to replace with a Dell genuine adapter that suitable for the system. Note: Wiggle the adapter's end while checking it in the BIOS

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 18th, 2017 08:00

" I have no idea if there is something wrong with the battery cz it passed the online dell test "..

Just to be sure, check status of the battery's health in BIOS as well. It usually listed under the Advanced tab. Further, battery health should say 'Your Battery IS Performing Normally'. On the newer computers it should say 'Excellent '.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

April 18th, 2017 10:00

Remove the battery and use just the adapter alone. If that works, use it that way until you can replace the computer. Since you never use the battery that should work for you. Batteries can cost over $100 so if the computer is over 2-3 yrs old, it would be a better workaround. You do need a genuine Dell replacement battery.

4 Posts

May 7th, 2017 12:00

Inspiron 7437

windows 10

Thank you i will check that

1 Message

July 2nd, 2017 09:00

I have this same problem. Batter is at 7 percent and not charging. I even tried a different battery from another Dell Inspiron 3521 but it say Battery not recognized when booting up. Power adapter is recognized in the BIOS.

4 Posts

August 2nd, 2017 09:00

BTW

I got new battery and new charger!

guess what???

Same problem!

I believe that the problem is the identification chip (for charger) inside the laptop... The chip or relative circuit doesnt work so the signal/power doesnt move towards the battery and thus the battery wont be charged..

So @gsimpson2010 dont bother buying anything if the above suggested tests wont work..

And if u ever find what the actual problem is, please let me know as well..

4 Posts

August 2nd, 2017 09:00

@GSIMPSON2010

Honestly,

there is no solution.

At least not a simple one.. I gave up

I still use my laptop only when its plugged in..

September 28th, 2017 23:00

I had an issue charging my Dell Inspiron 5448 Windows 10 PC.  Error message says: The AC adapter wattage or type cannot be determined, battery may not charge..

We tried different AC adapters including Genuine Dell 65W adaptor that works on another Dell laptop.  Same problem.

Powered off the system, then on, taped F2 key to to BIOS.  It says "unknown" adaptor.  Advanced tab shows "battery is performing normally"

It seems to be a connection issue between the adaptor and the battery.  Is there an easy fix ?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 29th, 2017 04:00

Next step:  replace the DC jack,

www.parts-people.com/index.php

If that doesn't solve the problem it leaves the mainboard as the faulty part.

No Events found!