Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 12th, 2017 11:00

Battery : 75% available (Plugged in, Not Charging)

Hello,

I own Inspiron 5547 Model. My laptop is not running on battery. LED indicator of battery is also not flashing. Laptop works fine when plugged in and shows "75% available (Plugged in, Not Charging)". In system diagnosis and dell diagnosis, it says that battery is healthy, working normally and perfectly fine.

Also Battery is on 75% since many days. Its not getting charged or discharged.

Please suggest some solution. 

Thank You.

P.S. : It is a non removable battery.

2K Posts

March 12th, 2017 14:00

Hi SHINICHI9,

Are you using an original Dell OEM Adapter? When you plug in the adapter to the system, does the adapter stay firm or does it fall off easily? Is the adapter frayed? Is there any damage on the system? Could you test with another power adapter if possible?

Does the adapter charge the battery fine when plugged in? 

Disconnect the adapter and check if the battery begins discharging. 

Restart the system and press f2 key to enter BIOS - check the adapter status in BIOS with and without the adapter plugged in. Also, wiggle the adapter cable at the end and see if the status changes in BIOS at any point.

Also, while in BIOS, go to advanced tab and check under Battery Charge Configuration if there is a custom stop percentage set. 

Update the BIOS and check - http://dell.to/2mzKrjE 

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us. These are onboard diagnostics and they might possible pick some error if the hardware is not functional.

Test another adapter and battery to confirm which component is causing the issue. 

If another adapter / battery also exhibits the same behavior and if the adapter and dc port are fine in BIOS, then the motherboard might be at fault.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our team to get a quote for a paid service call - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private message with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

4 Posts

March 13th, 2017 00:00

Hello sir,

Thank you for your reply.

I am using original dell Adapter and it is perfectly fine as new. No damage to adapter or system.

Adapter does not charge battery after plugged in and laptop not running on battery. I need to plugged in to switch on laptop.

In BIOS also it says Not charging but it shows healthy battery.

I have already updated BIOS.

No error in System Diagnostics. All tests got passed.

2K Posts

March 13th, 2017 13:00

Hi SHINICHI9,

Thank you for the update.

Is the adapter detected in BIOS? Is the dc-port firm or loose? Have you tested another battery?

Restart the system and press f2 key to enter BIOS - check the adapter status in BIOS with and without the adapter plugged in. Also, wiggle the adapter cable at the end and see if the status changes in BIOS at any point.

This will help isolate the source of the issue. If the adapter is not detected, test another adapter and check. If the dc-port is loose, you would need to replace the dc-port - this is the part you need - http://bit.ly/28SYFVc 

Let us know if you have any other queries.

10 Posts

March 13th, 2017 15:00

I had an inspiron but a 3521, that was giving me the same problem fortunately for me it seems it was an operating system problem. I tried a couple of things after searching online, I uninstalled and reinstalled the Microsoft ACPI battery drivers as directed here about dell plugged in not charging

Some of the instructions i just copied them from the website below

To uninstall Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery drivers

• Go to Device manager
  • Then batteries
  • Under batteries right click on Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
  • Select uninstall

Hope this helps

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 19th, 2017 04:00

Unplug the system, remove the base cover and disconnect the battery.  Hold the power button for 30 sec.

Reconnect the battery and see if it will then charge.

4 Posts

Hello sir,

Sorry for late reply.

Adapter is detected in BIOS. With adapter plugged in, BIOS shows AC adapter type as <65W> .

Without adapter plugged in, laptop is not turning on.

I tried everything with adapter and it is perfectly in good condition.

It is non removable battery, I can not try putting another battery at home.

I did not use the laptop for some months. Now, when I started using it again, I am facing same problem. But now, it showing 51% available (Plugged in, Not Charging). What could be problem?

Thanks.

4 Posts

Hello Zeeba,

That did not work for me.

Thanks for the reply :)

5 Posts

December 25th, 2017 20:00

Same Problem in my Dell 5442

1 Message

December 29th, 2017 10:00

I had same problem on my E7270, fortunately under support. Battery status in BIOS excelent, diagnostics said everything is OK. But laptop was not working on battery, it was not charging or discharding. In addition laptop was not able to turn on in docking station.

In the end it was solved by dell technician. He reseated power cord between battery and motherboard. He said if problem shows again, I should call support again and ask them for replacement cable specifically.

No Events found!