Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 17th, 2015 17:00

Battery Issue

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 3521 which, until recently, was working fine. 

This morning I, after a rebooted, I got an error message informing me that the battery would not charge and to press f1 to continue or f2 to enter setup.  I continued and booted into Windows fine but noticed it wasn't charging,  I rebooted to see if the error message would go away.   It didn't.

I booted into the BIOS, loaded the "optimized defaults" and rebooted only to be greeted by the same error message.  

There were quite a few posts with similar issues, so I tried a couple of the solutions to see if any of them would work(updating the BIOS to A12, rebooting with the battery removed and then replacing it, deleting the two driver under batteries in device manager, etc.), but none of them resulted in the battery charging though the error message went away.  

After playing around with it for a while, I noticed the following behavior.

1.  Initially, in the BIOS, it said something like "Your battery is temporarily disabled, please turn off your computer and try again when the unit is back to operational temperature" .  After removal/reboot/re-adding, it reports it as healthy.  

2.  The AC adapter is reported as unknown when the battery is plugged in.  If I remove the battery, it is reported as 65W. Adding the battery results in it reporting as "unknown" again.

3.  If I am in Windows with the battery plugged in and not charging(as reported by windows) and I remove the AC adapter from the socket in the wall and plug it in again, the green light on the power brick glows for 5 or so seconds and the icon in the system tray shows charging. Unfortunately, it then turns off a few seconds later and the icon shows it running only on battery power.  

I've seen quite a few of these posts, so I'm not expecting a definitive answer. As of right now, I'm running with just the AC adapter plugged in and the battery removed.  It works "fine" this way. 

NOTE:  This seemed to coincide with a run of windows update.  Prior to that, it was working correctly running on a fresh install of Windows 8.1 .  Either that, or it was just a coincidence.

January 18th, 2015 15:00

I should add something for those who are having the same issue.  

One of the things you'll be asked to do is update your BIOS.  Unfortunately, when your battery isn't working correctly, it won't let you flash.   It requires both battery power and being plugged into the the wall.  

Fortunately for me, and hopefully you as well, I have a small solution.  

When I first plug in the outlet to the wall, there's a five second or so window where the battery does charge before the LED light on the power brick goes out and the icon in the system tray switches to showing only running on battery power.  If you inplug/plug in your laptop, you have enough time to get the flash to start. 

No Events found!