Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 10th, 2015 03:00

Battery Life Dell Xps 13 2015

Is it normal that when using Power saver mode, having lowest brightness or one notch higher and basically only using IE and OneNote to average at about 5 - 6 h batterylife? What is going on? I have reinstalled windows and do not have any bloatware. I can't even get half of the promised 11 hours! I have the qhd+ model.

1 Message

April 23rd, 2015 11:00

I'm getting pretty bad battery life unfortunately.  I use chrome instead of IE, and im getting about 4 hours. That's on medium brightness and with the balanced mode enabled in power settings. I've found that the battery performance has improved if you keep the power mode in the Dell setting. Also, when you first get the machine, windows will be indexing all your files and installing updates in the background. These tasks can be quite processor intensive, give it a few hours sitting on the side overnight and it will sort this all out.

4 Posts

April 23rd, 2015 13:00

Same here....

I am running the full HD version and can't get above 6-7h with browsing, word, excel, etc.... Actually pretty disappointed.

April 23rd, 2015 23:00

Mine too. quite disappointed with the battery life. Mine is without touchscreen and advertised to be more than 10 hours. But I'm getting 6-7hours average.

Also checked the battery report using "powercfg /batteryreport" and my battery capacity dropped 7% from original in just 2 months.

You guys can make use of this command and check the battery too.

2 Posts

April 24th, 2015 09:00

Please fix this dell, I never get over 5 hours, 15 minutes!!!! All i do work in powerpoint and gmail all day.

2 Posts

April 24th, 2015 11:00

This is disappointing too, my battery is in perfect condition in the diagnostics.

13 Posts

April 25th, 2015 03:00

I tried geting as Long batteri life as i could and got 7 hours. Dimmest brightness and only using OneNote. quite embarassing.

5.2K Posts

April 25th, 2015 13:00

I would search the web for reviews that test battery life and run the same type service they are and see what you get. The ones I've seen get pretty much what Dell advertises. Battery life is a lot like automobile mileage. The tests used do not come close to the real world conditions used by real people; this was one of my fields before I got smart and retired. If you ape some published testing and come way under the claims, then I think Dell should listen. A lot of the testing involves just running videos, not too stressful.

April 25th, 2015 14:00

just got my dell xps 13, i7 512gb.

got here at starbucks at around 11:15am. i am here to take notes from online lectures. 

it is now 1:31pm and i have 41% left. 

so yeah, the battery life isn't that great. 

using chrome, word, and watching lectures (average lecture is about 30 mins)

13 Posts

This should not be necessary. Dell flat out lies about the battery life for no reason. Look at Apple, their advertised battery life is nearly exactly what you get when buying their laptops. Dell claims 11h which I can't even try getting even with a fresh installation of windows. As I said, with the dimmest settings, energy saving mode and only running onenote I got just over 7h. Almost half of the advertised battery life. I thought that this new generation would bring change and a fresh start but no, it is the same story over again. I really like the windows platform and the freedom given but I am struggling to justify not jumping ship every time I upgrade. 

5.2K Posts

If you feel you have a valid claim, contact Dell for warranty service. It's not going to do you any good to just complain on these forums, as they are user-to-user, and Dell doesn't handle many issues here. MY recommendation could give you ammunition to push a claim if you could PROVE battery life is bad. Right now, it's just your word that it's bad.

13 Posts

April 28th, 2015 06:00

I got a response from a very nice man at Dell and they are open to the total lie about the battery life. The only way to get 11h of battery life is to have the computer booted to BIOS for that long. To quote the support: "It seems that the battery is fine. The advertised 11 hours battery time is just theoretical, reachable maybe just under laboratory circumstances. To be honest, you will probably never reach 11 hours under normal circumstances.".

So yeah, just got to deal with the poor battery life until it is time to upgrade my computer again. Hopefully there will be some awesome macbooks by then :)

4 Posts

April 28th, 2015 07:00

This is outraging, seriously! I specifically bought this laptop because of its supposedly stellar battery life!

Also, how come that site like arstechnica, notebookcheck, etc. got 10+ hours out of it? 

13 Posts

April 28th, 2015 08:00

Will test this! Thanks for the tip

5.2K Posts

April 28th, 2015 08:00

They, and many other test sites, are getting excellent performance. Why don't you install the BattStat utility, which will show data on battery performance and projected times. This is done by actually measuring battery capacity and power consumption. You may be able to use this info with Dell. You need evidence.

The comment from the Dell employee makes no sense. Independent testing has shown excellent battery life in real world testing. This site shows a number of tests with the worst being about 8 hours under severe conditions, the best was over 15 hours.

1 Message

June 22nd, 2015 00:00

Have you guys tried to unnistal Mcafee security center? I had 4-5 hours battery life and yesterday I unninstal mcafee and played little bit with power options when unplugged to prioritize battery life plus i stop all unnecessary sync (onedrive etc.) and right away my battery prediction life at lightsurfing increased to 12 hours or so. I will test the system this week more this is justy first feeling that it might work. I have non touch version.

No Events found!